TBI injector O-ring split

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diesel_lv

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Hi, have a 1987 Chevy Blazer, 350 TBI. I took the TB off and rebuilt it. I used an ACDelco rebuild kit. Putting it back together the instructions say to lube the o-rings with transmission fluid and rotate the injectors back n forth until they seat in the pod. Well, I could never get them to push all the way in. I weigh 210 and can push pretty damn hard and they just wouldn't go all the way in. So, I put the cover back over them and then evenly screwed it down, 1/4 turn at a time. Got the in and ran it. Ran great. Then within a day, started idling high. Took off aircleaner and noticed fuel coming from above the passenger side injector. Pulled the cover and the o-ring had been pinched somehow and fuel was flowing past it. I replaced the o-ring and put it together. Ran great. Then a day later the driver side started flowing past the the top of the injector. Pulled the cover and the o-ring was pinched. This time I replaced both o-rings. Put together and it ran great. Then a day later the passenger side again. This has happened 4 times on each side. I'm getting tired of buying and waiting on o-rings then pulling it apart and putting it together. Does anyone have a recommendation of what to do? Oh, before anyone asks, yes I put the metal washer in first before the o-ring. Thanks in advance for any help,

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
it sounds like you didnt have the injector in the right spot, they only fit one way.

diesel_lv

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yes, the little pin fits in the cutout in the pod. One faces front of engine and one faces rear of engine and when they are correct, the electrodes line up with the throttle shaft. If they are not lined up properly, the cover will not screw down. It is dummy proof. I spent 23 yrs in the Army fixing helicopters and reading, comprehending and following instructions very well. I know my procedure is correct. I am asking if anyone has a hint, other than transmission fluid, to get the injectors to push in and seat by hand. Thank you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I always use dielectric grease.

diesel_lv

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thank you Bucket. That's what I ended up using and they just pushed down easy as pie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyHansen