TBI harness swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shilaeli hugger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Burdaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Well my harnesses are all a nightmare. I scored a taillight harness and tbi engine harness for 20 bucks today. My main concern is the engine harness is from a 1990 k5 and my truck is 87 v20. Any big concerns or problems? It was only harness in area that i could find. I can repin and wire if i have too.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well my harnesses are all a nightmare. I scored a taillight harness and tbi engine harness for 20 bucks today. My main concern is the engine harness is from a 1990 k5 and my truck is 87 v20. Any big concerns or problems? It was only harness in area that i could find. I can repin and wire if i have too.

If you happen to be running a 700R4 (I hope not with that big ole truck) or a TH350, your torque converter lock up will match up on the harness. If you have a TH400, you'll have a square, three pin connector dangling, and it'll probably trip the TCC code. If I'm not mistaken, the '90 would have used a different ECM speed input method than previous years. It should work fine, regardless. Not 100% sure on this one, but I'm guessing (unless you plan to put a late, electronic cluster and DRAC module in it) you'll just have to find the pinout for the VSS buffer at the back of the cluster and the 7747 ECM pinout and appropriately bridge those two guys together per your diagrams. It'll only be one wire, and you can bring the speed wire from your harness to the back of the cluster and avoid messing with the ECM connector. All the sensors will match up.

Last edited:

Shilaeli hugger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Burdaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
If you happen to be running a 700R4 (I hope not with that big ole truck) or a TH350, your torque converter lock up will match up on the harness. If you have a TH400, you'll have a square, three pin connector dangling, and it'll probably trip the TCC code. If I'm not mistaken, the '90 would have used a different ECM speed input method than previous years. It should work fine, regardless. Not 100% sure on this one, but I'm guessing (unless you plan to put a late, electronic cluster and DRAC module in it) you'll just have to find the pinout for the VSS buffer at the back of the cluster and the 7747 ECM pinout and appropriately bridge those two guys together per your diagrams. It'll only be one wire, and you can bring the speed wire from your harness to the back of the cluster and avoid messing with the ECM connector. All the sensors will match up.

Well i do have the th400. Got my harness out today in just a few min (damn i love these trucks). Only thing i can see different is one plug for the ecm. Mine has one plug with 8 wires and new harness has 10. I may just pull it apart n repin it to fit my old plug. All but 2 wires match but plug wont match. Gonna get some wiring print outs just to make sure i do it right.

O yeah the k5 had a speedo cable so no speedo wire to worry bout. There is a single tan (i think) wire on drivers side.of my th400. Whats that for?

Last edited:

Shilaeli hugger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Burdaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Well that wont work. K5 harness only has wiring for one relay and body plug is different. Trashin both n on hunt for 87 v20 harness again.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Don't trash any harness that is in good shape. People pay money for those :cheers:

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
There is a single tan (i think) wire on drivers side.of my th400. Whats that for?[/QUOTE said:
Downshift solonoid

Shilaeli hugger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Burdaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Well after seeing what was missing on mine and reading the wiring diagrams... im using mine and adding what i need

Mainly the alternator wiring. They cut it off annd had the plug run to a switch on the dash and alt wasnt hooked to battery. We found the brown wire from body plug and yes it was cut n tucked away like a miatake.

Now from what ive seen on the diagrams the red wire from the alt plug is spliced to a wire running to starter and the battery wire goes to the junction box on firewall (and batery obviously). Am i right on yhis? Dont wanna start cuttin **** without lil reassurance.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I like to run the red wire from the Alt plug and put it right to the charge wire stud on the Alt.

Shilaeli hugger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Burdaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I like to run the red wire from the Alt plug and put it right to the charge wire stud on the Alt.

Wont that drain the battery?

Also what are both the relays for? I know inea for trans kick down but not sure on other. It has a red wire with plug hangin out.

Shilaeli hugger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Burdaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Ok i figured out the alt. Checked moms 86 n the wire is constant hot on her alt so i just ran it to junction block

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP