T.C. NP203 Spider thrust washer is this the norm ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
NP 203 transfer case spider gear thrust washers.
It appears that there was/should be, a coating of babbit on these thrust washer, mostly all I see now, on the wear surfaces, is copper.
I do`nt know how critical the babbit coating is, but, I am sure it would affect the endplay of the gears, and, I do`nt know how much end play is too much but these do seem to have quite a bit.
I will be installing the Mile Marker 4X2 conversion kit and it sets directly on the spider gears so I do`nt know if they will be turning much at all after that anyway.
Anyhow, not being real familiar with transfer cases I thought I would throw this out there for a bit of Professional help.
Thank You
Martin

You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
T.C. Spider thrust washer is this the norm ?

:crazy:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:bowroflwerd6: Did I say something wrong ???

Well, after two days of searching for the thrust washers I finally found them.
quite reasonably priced too.
Now it`s the waiting for them and the chain to get here, then it`LL be ass holes and elbows getting it back together.

******** and elbows refers to when a mechanic is bent over the front of a vehicle working away, all`s you can see is ******** and elbows. :happy175:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
No I am just subscribing to the thread and playing with you :D

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No I am just subscribing to the thread and playing with you :D

:happy175: With all the meds I`m on I wonder sometimes if I make any sense atall. :happy175:
I looked the innernet over for two/three days trying to find them spider gears, turned a couple of words around, first site on the page come in with that place, happy to have found them.
There was a LOT!!! of grey mud built up inside the spider gear cage so I did`nt want to really put it back together with them old thrust washers.
This old pickup had been very badly abused, on a fencing crew, in Montana and Wyoming, its a wonder the previous owner had`nt scrapped it, other than His deceased fatherinlaw had dumped so much money into it, doing a mechanical restoration.
Engine/transmission works very nicely, and the price was right, "FREE" FOR THE DRIVING AWAY", an excellent deal in My world.
As crappy as the body is, I just cant seem to just scrap it out, nope, I`m a fixer upper sort of a person.:shocked:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If it were mine I would swap it for an NP205 :crazy: or even weld the spider gears together, just to see what happens lol

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If it were mine I would swap it for an NP205 :crazy: or even weld the spider gears together, just to see what happens lol

might pull wheelies wit the front and back tires at the same time, except for in opposite directions. :lol::Big Laugh:
YUP a 205 would be nice, I just do`nt have one on hand right at ther moment, when/if one comes along I will grabitup and instill it into this O`L crate.

I do`n know if this is allowed, but, here`s the website where I found them spiders. lots of good parts in there, for transfer cases too.
Mods, if this is not OK then please remove this link from this post.

http://www.manualtransmissionpart.com/

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The differential in the tcase just allows slippage for "4-HI" so basically the power goes to the rear to begin with and if it slips the front kicks in. I think it would be like 4-HI LOC all the time if the spiders were welded.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The differential in the tcase just allows slippage for "4-HI" so basically the power goes to the rear to begin with and if it slips the front kicks in. I think it would be like 4-HI LOC all the time if the spiders were welded.

I guess I should get some literature on the power flow through this gear box, at leat then I`d unnerstand how and why it works like it does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666