strobing lights everywhere

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
hey guys, so along with the turn signals not working, pain in the butt, my headlights/ brake lights/ and dash lights all strobe. these lights all work fine when in neutral or park but as soon as I put the truck in gear its impossible to drive at night. its a 74 k10 and I have a new battery, new alternator, the power cable from battery to starter was rubbed through so I replaced that too. Other then that I went through and cleaned/ sanded down every ground I could find under the hood to insure a good connection there. not sure where to go from here and any ideas would be better then a new wiring harness lol.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Check your ground from the instrument panel behind the panel. Should be a black wire going to the emergency brake mount or to a separate ground block on driver side kick panel.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I will definitely give that a try... im totally lost as what to do now

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
For ***** and giggles run a new ground wire from the cab to the frame like so.....
You must be registered for see images attach
And see if that doesn't remedy it. Or it could be a fried HL switch

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
For 5 bucks why not lol... forgot to mention the headlight switch is new too, thats where I started with all this

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
hey guys, so along with the turn signals not working, pain in the butt, my headlights/ brake lights/ and dash lights all strobe. these lights all work fine when in neutral or park but as soon as I put the truck in gear its impossible to drive at night. its a 74 k10 and I have a new battery, new alternator, the power cable from battery to starter was rubbed through so I replaced that too. Other then that I went through and cleaned/ sanded down every ground I could find under the hood to insure a good connection there. not sure where to go from here and any ideas would be better then a new wiring harness lol.

The big questions are: Why is it that this only happens when the transmission is shifted into gear and not in P or N? And why do they strobe on and off rather than dim down and stay that way?

If you have found a definite/consistent connection between the lighting issue and the transmission being put in gear, maybe that is what you should think about. I'm sure that, given the vintage of the truck, there are no electric controls associated with the transmission. There might be a kickdown switch on the gas pedal but that shouldn't effect the lighting.

I'd start by using your VOM to determine if the lights are flashing due to a fluctuation in power supply rather than a grounding issue. I can't imagine how a ground path (all of them) could somehow be made/broken in a cyclic manner. That definitely sounds more like a voltage supply problem.

Unlike later model trucks, your entire electrical system is fed by one main feed from the battery. Once inside the cab, it is branched off to both BAT terminals in the ignition switch, the fuse block, the horn relay and the headlight switch. But, other than lighting, you haven't noted any other electrical stuff acting up. IDK?

An easy first check would be at the firewall junction block. While you are in that area, check the fusible links. Next check is at the main firewall connector. Then under the dash at the splice point.

One other thing, does the engine have to be running for this to happen - or does it also happen if you turn your lights on and shift out of P/N with the engine off?

Reason I ask; If it happens with the engine off, it will be a lot easier to check voltages down the line. If not you will need an assistant to apply the brakes or a very reliable e-brake.

What if you disconnected the shifter linkage at the transmission and seeing if it still happens.

Last edited:

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The big questions are: Why is it that this only happens when the transmission is shifted into gear and not in P or N? And why do they strobe on and off rather than dim down and stay that way?

so to follow your post, when I shift into reverse or drive this happens. Im sure there is a whole new problem with this but when I shift into either gear there is a drop in power, obviously the headlights flicker on and off, along with the dash lights, and also the rpms drop too( id guess about 100 or 200).

That's what makes me think this is a voltage supply problem. I don't know much about electrical but the basics. From what I can tell that's more the likely the problem, just need to chase it down.

You mentioned checking the fusible links... how many of these should there be? and do you by chance know where exactly they should be?

Also not sure how or why but the headlights don't turn on unless the truck is on and running. but it does need to be on to get that "drop" to happen when switching into gear.

ill be doing a ton of reading and searching today to hopefully decipher this. It doesn't help that the previous owner has nothing but speaker wire with twist caps as splices on every wire under the dash.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Did you have the alternator tested? It can be putting out voltage but if there is no amps it's worthless.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
the alternator was the first thing I changed last week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes