Stock jet size on a quadrajet for my 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I'm trying to get my Suburban to pass smog (California). I got said Suburban from my uncle who used to build race cars but passed away. I'm almost positive that he re jetted the Rochester in it for towing. It's a 77 3/4 ton truck with a stock 454. It was deemed a "gross polluter" by the smog station that I went to. It does have 6 or 7 yr old gasoline in it, I'll be replacing the gas tank a.s.a.p. Oh yeah It does need the timing done as well which I will be doing soon.soon.soon.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm not an expert in jetting a carburetor, as a matter of fact, I know diddly about jetting a carb, but I'll bet I can help you with other things pertaining to your emissions. I doubt that it being overjetted is the sole cause of it being deemed a "gross polluter." Did it do worse with the HC emissions or the CO emissions? You mentioned ignition timing, which is a big deal, but is your EGR valve working? You can test it by pushing the plunger up, capping your finger over the nipple, letting go, and seeing if the plunger holds. If it's a newer valve, it may be harder to do because their plungers tend to be encased in a clamshell rather than being open like the old valves. Is everything for your A.I.R. system in place? I'm assuming so because of the visual component of the inspection. I would inspect your canister and make sure everything is hooked up, and the vacuum lines aren't falling apart. There's likely a filter under the charcoal canister, too, which you should change if it's looking not so good. Just unbolt it and flip it over to see. It may be a good idea to throw a new fuel cap on there if it does have an evaporative emissions system. It may also be a good idea to freshen up the plugs if they're looking tired, and the cap and rotor can get tired, too, if they're old or well used. I wouldn't worry about the plug wires at the moment unless they're chewed up, falling apart, or corroded on the inside. Finally, pull the PCV valve out, shake it, and if it rattles, you can keep it, but if not, get a new one. I'm not totally familiar with CA emissions components for a '77 truck with a BBC, but that's a run through of some emissions failure points that come with age, which I assume your Burb has many or all of said components.

Last edited:

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Do you know your Quadrajet code number? That would help. I could tell you original jetting.
Most of those had huge main air bleeds and were very lean set up original. We would typically use a 76 or 77 jet and many had 53 primary rods.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Not sure of the jet size, but I feel you on the smogging. I'm trying to get my 79 K15 smogged and it failed at idle. Turns out the manifold was cracked causing a huge vacuum leak and a fail. Check all your vacuum lines (I know both my trucks had leaks due to the age of the lines) and the carb base gasket.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Thank you for the info, it's much appreciated. I just got it to my house yesterday, it was at my cousins shop. I did also notice that the coolant overflow line to the canister is broken causing it to over heat a bit and the fan clutch is missing. It has a solid piece of aluminum in place of the fan clutch. The fan looks to be too small and the fan shroud is not the right one either. I'll take a look at all the things you all mentioned.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Wow. Its amazing how many times I have seen these posts about dealing with CA smog crap. I will never ever EVER live in that ****-hole of a state. I absolutely REFUSE to allow govt dicks to poke around my vehicles and dictate everything about what I can and cannot do. Screw that crap. I do not have the time or money to deal with it.

"Gross Polluter" ...they can **** off

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Wow. Its amazing how many times I have seen these posts about dealing with CA smog crap. I will never ever EVER live in that ****-hole of a state. I absolutely REFUSE to allow govt dicks to poke around my vehicles and dictate everything about what I can and cannot do. Screw that crap. I do not have the time or money to deal with it.

"Gross Polluter" ...they can **** off

I totally agree. Our smog system is just a way for the state to get money. Its sad because a lot of trucks get junked because they won't pass smog and the reg is way out. Most of them are in better shape than trucks in the snow belt. Our state is so screwed up, I can't even replace my carb with an aftermarket EFI unit. I could only upgrade to a factory 87' and later EFI. I already told my wife if the stupid liberal bureucrats here make this a sanctuary state, were leaving.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I totally agree. Our smog system is just a way for the state to get money. Its sad because a lot of trucks get junked because they won't pass smog and the reg is way out. Most of them are in better shape than trucks in the snow belt. Our state is so screwed up, I can't even replace my carb with an aftermarket EFI unit. I could only upgrade to a factory 87' and later EFI. I already told my wife if the stupid liberal bureucrats here make this a sanctuary state, were leaving.

If you're talking about SB54, I would go ahead and start packing up. From what I know about the left-centric legislative climate in California, that seems like a likely outcome. Not certain but likely. That's just my opinion. Mississippi is out here. I run punched cats/no cats all day long, and that's what just about everyone does, and we let the fed do its job in terms of immigration. Just saying.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I'll get back to you with the code on my quadrajet. Where is it located? I know that there is a tab with numbers punched in it. Thanks for the reply @Quadrajet Power.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
My quad has 53m rods and 71 jets (later style 800 cfm from 454).

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Cats what are those im runnin around open headers here in illinois lol

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I'll get back to you with the code on my quadrajet. Where is it located? I know that there is a tab with numbers punched in it. Thanks for the reply @Quadrajet Power.

Numbers are stamped in main body, driver side above secondary rod. Should be something like 17057229 or similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76