Steering Stabilizer Different Than Current One Even When Said To Be Exact Fit/ Bolt Doesn't Fit Through Tie Rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Looks like you have the smaller tie rod that maybe doesn't have a tapered hole? I dunno, the larger tie rod definitely uses the new stud like in your pictures.
It definitely doesn't have a tapered hole that the new studs need. It is actually just a straight shot, no taper. I took a picture earlier...
You must be registered for see images attach

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Looks like you have the smaller tie rod that maybe doesn't have a tapered hole? I dunno, the larger tie rod definitely uses the new stud like in your pictures.
Do you think this tie rod is not original to the truck? It looks like it is when your face is right up on it but who knows...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you think this tie rod is not original to the truck? It looks like it is when your face is right up on it but who knows...

Probably original. It's the lighter duty tie rod that you have, but I haven't messed with them much. I'm used to the heavier duty tie rods. GM had two styles in use at the same time.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Looking at this picture, is it possible a previous owner carved a bushing to fill the tapered hole?

Back in the day, some of the aftermarket heavy duty stabilizers were not available to fit the GM tapered mount. Look close at the tie rod hole to see if it has a bushing. Years ago, when I wanted to replace the stabilizer on my '74, the only one I could get that fit, was from GM.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey, I found the picture that the forum locked out.

@bucket can you help?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Looking at this picture, is it possible a previous owner carved a bushing to fill the tapered hole?

Picture you posted @JamesSam

Back in the day, some of the aftermarket heavy duty stabilizers were not available to fit the GM tapered mount. Look close at the tie rod hole to see if it has a bushing. Years ago, when I wanted to replace the stabilizer on my '74, the only one I could get that fit, was from GM.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Got this resolved. Double nut method, a vice grip, PB Blaster, and breaker bar got it loose. Mallet popped it right out. One older but perfectly fine stud that fits the light duty 1/2 ton tie rod, as @bucket stated, and one new stud for the bracket attached to the axle tubing. Thank you all for your feedback.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
@Dutch Rutter , @nvrenuf , @bucket , @Turbo4whl ...thank you all for such quick responses. I am a "shade tree" mechanic and am a chef/deli grocery guy by trade so all input is helpful for me. I really love doing things to my truck and hone both my grandfather's intuition when doing so. Fairly certain I would be a shop mechanic in another life but am a car and truck guy in this one regardless of profession.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512