Steering Gear Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
all ball joints have been replaced, I was told when I got my truck aligned that everything looked fine...

And I already installed the new gear box and test drove it. Like I said, its much better but I wish it was more responsive when i turn the steering.

Older design isn't like todays cars and trucks, also, you're reffering to an off road 4x4 steering system, not a sports car. Not sure, maybe you're expecting to much??? :shrug: If in doubt, have it checked out again,and make sure everything is tight in your steering gear.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Older design isn't like todays cars and trucks, also, you're reffering to an off road 4x4 steering system, not a sports car. Not sure, maybe you're expecting to much??? :shrug: If in doubt, have it checked out again,and make sure everything is tight in your steering gear.

Yeah you may be right. This being my first truck and all, I wasn't sure what to expect..

But being that I put up $163 for a new gear box plus wasting $45 on a used one, I was hoping it would be more responsive.

Which is the ragjoint and what does it look like?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh hell.. Only $163? That's not bad at all. I was expecting closer to $300.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Very simple. It's a rubberish type of joint to absrob vibration and not transfer it to the steering wheel. If that rubber gets old brittle and weak, it gets more flex in it. It becomes soft and then also absorbs more of your turning force, which might mean the first 1/16th or 1/8th of turn on the steering wheel before it actually starts tranfering turn to the steer box. You should be able have someone turn your steering wheel for you and watch it close. Watch the steer shaft in relation to what the box is doing. You should do the same thing laying under the truck to look for moving tie rods, drag links or pitman arm.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
What he said. ^^

I used a Jeep steering shaft in my S10 4x4 and it tightened the steering up tremendously.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Nope, Nope, Nope. Will the salvage yard take that 2wd drive unit back? I'd hate to see someone wasted $45. ORRR, just hold onto the 2wd box for a crossover steering conversion someday if a big lift kit is in the future plans cuz the only time you need a 2wd streering box on a 4x4 is if you're doing crossover steering.

What are the benefits of crossover steering and what exactly does it consist of?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Crossover steering corrects the poor steering geometry that GM originally set up these trucks with. Stock, your drag link pulls front to rear, which is susceptible to bump-steer and total loss of directional steering in one direction in a trail twist situation. Crossover steering utilizes a 2WD steering box, which has left/right pull of the drag link. It also requires a longer draglink that can reach the passenger side, as well as a passenger side knuckle that a steering arm can be bolted to. Stock 10-bolts usually have to have the top of the knuckle machined and drilled for a steering arm, or an aftermarket knuckle be purchased. Offroad Design has some in their online catalog if you need to see one. Another trick I've seen lately is flipping of the tie rod that has the hole made in it on the driver's side. Then people fabricate a drag link where the end can attach to the hole in the tie rod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512