steering gear box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevn-up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
305 c.i.
hey hey, 85 2wd. here. Anybody know of replacing their box with a monte carlo box of the same year ? Doing some research, so the Monte's is a 12 to 7 ratio vs. the 14 to 1 that the trucks have ? Quicker steering for sure? 25 spline input shaft and 32 spline output shaft makes it compatible ?. Any info on this would help.

chevn-up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
305 c.i.
Thanks for the article. Very cool info man. Looks like the 88-90 "B" body cars have the perfect box for an upgrade. 12-7 ratio, plus the full 87 deg. turning radius, (provided ya get the pitman arm with the box). The fact that the input shaft bolts right up to a mid 80's truck steering shaft, and the oil lines are metric, OMG. Gonna start looking through the yards.

dphipps

Reaction score
First Name
d
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Truck steering boxes mount to the outside of the frame, where the car box mounts to the inside.

Maybe the guts could be swapped?

chevn-up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
305 c.i.
So true dphipps. It burst my bubble when I located a 90 Caprice only to discover this fact. Swapping the guts may work. If the sector shaft and the rack piston (from the caprice box) can be switched from right to left. Both boxes are a constant ratio, so the sector shaft may be the same size and dimension, thus making it possible.....?

Last edited:

dphipps

Reaction score
First Name
d
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had the same idea as you at one point but it never got far after I noticed the boxes mounted on opposite sides...

Might be time to do some research

Edit:

They only mount different, don't they? Or are the boxes actually mirrored? I will have to check this out tomorrow. I have a Gbody box somewhere

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1