Steering Gear Box Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have had new ball joints and alll front end components installed in my 84 K20. The rag joint and steering shaft is also tight. The truck drives 80% better than before. I noticed that the gear box has quite a bit of slack from the time the steering wheel engages and the output shaft for the pitman arm moves. I read some forums on how to adjust the box. So I did this evening. It moved about 2 full rounds down before getting tight and then I back it up 1/2 round. I moved the steering wheel to lock in both directions and it felt good without any binding. The slack did tighten up considerably but I have not driven it yet. Is this safe to drive? Or should I go ahead and get a new box? Thanks in advance.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I've played around with the gear box adjustments for years on old, new, and rebuilt. I could never get all the play out of them for the life of me. Especially on lifted squares with big ass tires. I gave up on it sometime ago, I figured it is what it is, its not rack n pinion.

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
I would get a nappa box, made a world of difference in my truck.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I just put a new (reman) box on my too, and it was a night and day difference.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I drove it a while this evening. It helped but probably needs a new box. I called NAPA and they can get one for $158.00 and it USA Cardone brand. Will this be a good replacement? Secondly, how hard is it to install?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like a good brand. They aren't hard to install. Did you make sure the bolts that fasten the box to the frame were tight? Mine was loose and it allowed a lot of play. I replaced mine with a new unit and wasn't impressed with any sort of improvement, I agree with VAL that theres only so much tightness you can get from the ****** drag link design

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I drove it a while this evening. It helped but probably needs a new box. I called NAPA and they can get one for $158.00 and it USA Cardone brand. Will this be a good replacement? Secondly, how hard is it to install?

Should be good. Installation isn't too bad. You will need a socket that will
Fit the large nut for the pitman arm as well as a pitman arm puller. If you are planning to reuse the pitman arm you may be able to pull it off the old gear without separating the other end from the steering linkage. Otherwise you may need a separator fork as well as a new boot and a cotter key. You can get the taper on the linkage end apart using this concept and save the boot.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsci-izhhc

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
The nappa box is lifetime guarantee. I figured it must be pretty good if they give a good warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner