Steering column stub shaft bearings help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wwiifan

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I got a loose steering wheel on my 83 k10. It's not the tilt ( I wish cuz then it would be fixed by now). I disassembled the column and found the lower support bearing for the stub shaft was destroyed. I only found a couple of pieces of the bearing cage. Anyone one know where to find this part or if 88-98 columns use the same part I can rob from a junk yard? Here's a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 178

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are you saying that entire part is bad? If so, I'd go to gmpartswiki.com and try to find the part number and then google it. It's a PITA finding things there, but worth the effort. I found a few 3-speed manual column parts that way.

You might also want to try Wayne at GM TILT. http://www.gmtiltsteeringcolumn.com/contactus.html

Wwiifan

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The whole stub shaft isn't destroyed but the cage and balls are. I actually found what I needed by contacting my old steering and suspension teacher. He had a bunch of extras. So if this place isn't the best to find parts for square bodies what do u recommend?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I actually found what I needed by contacting my old steering and suspension teacher. He had a bunch of extras. So if this place isn't the best to find parts for square bodies what do u recommend?
Old Car & Truck 101:

1. Try the "Wanted" forum here and on other Chevy/GM truck forums. Turns out I just found some brand new suspension parts that way.

2. Go to a Chevy dealer parts counter to find the GM part numbers. They usually have exploded-view drawings even for older vehicles.

3. Use gmpartswiki.com to dig through their exploded view drawings and part numbers w/o leaving your house. This is how I determined the various P/Ns for motor mount "clam shells" used on our trucks.

If the parts are are no longer available through GM, then google the P/N. Over the years, I have done just that to find several new and used 82 C10 parts on eBay, at a Buick dealer in another state, and even at an on-line Corvette parts store.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80