Steering column/ headlight wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capthunter

Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
c/10
Engine Size
So I recently purchased a 85 swb and the previous owner swapped it from a Column shifter automatic to floor shifted manual. And didn’t swap the column out so it still has the automatic column in it and the ignition switch falls out. I’d like to swap in a universal gm floor shift column. My question is how hard is it to wire the high beams to a floor dimmer switch and also putting the wipers on a dash controlled switch. I don’t want to spend the big money on a flaming river or ididit column if I can wire them up separately. Just looking for any input on this or hopefully someone who has do it before. Thanks

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
As common as these trucks are, find a factory column that fits the truck.

The dimmer switch pinout is the same for column of floor mounted dimmer switches. You will need to lengthen the wires to reach the floor.

The wipers will be a little more difficult, it depends on what switch your new column has as to how it’s wired.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
The column mounted & floor mounted dimmers are the same wiring pigtail. You should be able to extend the wires or just make a harness extension that plugs in.

Strickland

Capthunter

Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
c/10
Engine Size
Yeah the dimmer looks easy enough. Any ideas on what to do about the wipers?

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
82 or 83 was the last year for dash mounted switches. If you can source one of those along with the pigtail & wiring it would make the conversion a little easier.
Can you not find a manual column in your area?

Strickland

Capthunter

Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
c/10
Engine Size
I haven’t been able to source one yet. And I’m stuck on a boat for the next few weeks. Was trying to order the parts needed so I can install it when I get home but may wait and see if I can find one first

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507