Steering box adjustments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Can i do it on the truck, or do i need to pull it? Of it needs to be removed i think i will just rebuild it, looks easy enough

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Steering box adjustments are a temporary fix for a much bigger issue. I've heard people say don't take them apart unless you really know what you are doing.

I personally would just replace it.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Rebuild kit is like 25.00. Unless a hard part is broke, it looks really easy. Lots of you tube videos.

i would like to adjust it for now though, to at least get me through the winter. not sure if it can be done on the truck or not. theoretically i don't think it can

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes it can.
An older "Motor Truck Manual" will tell how it is done.
Need to disconnect the steering arm from the box. Remove the horns button from the steering wheel.
Should not take more than about 5 in.lbs. to rotate the steering shaft over center position.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Assuming you have Saginaw gear for power steering. Adjustment is normally done on the bench. But, if all exterior loads are removed (by disconnecting input shaft from rag joint and output shaft from steering linkage), it can be done as an in-vehicle service.

I can provide procedures and dwgs. But first step - please identify your steering gear using the dwgs below and whether it is the 605 or the 800-808 version:

You must be registered for see images attach

Exploded views - 605 on left/800-808 on right:

There are two types of Saginaw integral rotary valve type single piston steering gears.

The two different types of gears can be identified by the configuration of the side covers.

The Model 605 gear has a round side cover, secured with a retaining ring, Fig. 1.

The Model 800-808 gear has a rectangular side cover, secured with four bolts, Fig. 1.

Also, note that the Model 800-808 gear incorporates balls in the rack piston, Figs. 2 and 3, while the Model 605 gear does not, Fig. 4.

The power steering gear operates entirely by displacing oil to provide hydraulic pressure assists only when turning. As the entire gear assembly is always filled with oil, all internal components of the gear are immersed in oil, making periodic lubrication unnecessary. In addition this oil acts as a cushion to absorb road shocks that may be transmitted to the driver.

The steering shaft, hydraulic valve, worm and rack piston nut are all in line, making a compact and space saving steering gear. All oil passages are internal except the pressure and return hoses between gear and pump.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I have the 800-808 model.

the rag joint looks to be newer and there is no slop on that side, it is all on the sector shaft/pitman arm.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
800-808 adjustment procedures.

Figure 29:

THRUST BEARING PRELOAD

Tighten adjuster plug until bottomed and torque to 20 ft. lbs.
Draw a line on gear housing and adjuster plug, and a second line 1/2 inch counter clockwise on housing only, Fig. 29.

Turn adjuster plug counterclockwise until mark on adjuster aligns with second mark on housing. Tighten locknut while holding plug securely to prevent rotation.

Figure 31:

Figure 32:

OVER-CENTER PRELOAD

Rotate stub shaft from stop to stop, counting number of turns, then turn back exactly 1/2 number of turns to locate center of travel.
Measure combined ball and thrust bearing preload using an inch pound torque wrench to rotate stub shaft through the over center position.
Referring to Fig. 31, tighten adjusting screw while rotating stub shaft with torque wrench until torque reading obtained is specified inch pounds greater than combined ball and thrust bearing preload, Fig. 32. Note that total steering gear preload must not exceed specifications.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
thanks. going to try and do this tomorrow

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Rebuild kit is like 25.00. Unless a hard part is broke, it looks really easy. Lots of you tube videos.

i would like to adjust it for now though, to at least get me through the winter. not sure if it can be done on the truck or not. theoretically i don't think it can

Looks can be deceiving, in my opinion they are not easy to rebuild. Im flat out telling you rebuilding an automatic transmission was easier than the steering box I tried rebuilding.

I took some pictures to do a write up on here but it never happen because when I put the steering box in the truck and started it the steering wheel turned all the way to the left on its own and stayed there. I ended up wasting a bunch of time and money I did not have.

That gear under the cover is what you are actually adjusting, its tapered so you can adjust it I guess but its mostly tapered so you can adjust it after assembly (not as parts wear out). I did a quick fix steering box adjustment on a friends truck in a hotel parking lot, kinda like your situation... just trying to make it work until we could change it. After the first adjustment he almost crashed, I guess it was pretty hard to drive. I think we ended up adjusting it right back to where it was when we started :party36:

Im all about rebuilding stuff yourself and learning new things but it sounds like you need the truck so I will just suggest buying a reman steering box and saving the trouble. It really hurt me to turn in a core steering box loaded with new seals and gaskets I spent several hours cleaning. Also consider what a pain in the ass it is to R&R a steering box, I had to do it twice.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
don't need the truck, it is our 3rd vehicle at home. really only need it when the weather is bad and the wife drives my subaru. otherwise i just drive it 1x/week so it doesn't sit all the time. but i did just dump a lot of $$$ into the axles & tcase so I am trying to recoup some of those expenses before spending more

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
From the 1987 Light Truck Unit Repair Manual - provides a lot more detail and much better images. Adjustment procedures are on the last page:

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looks can be deceiving, in my opinion they are not easy to rebuild. Im flat out telling you rebuilding an automatic transmission was easier than the steering box I tried rebuilding.

I rebuilt mine without any issues... I also made sure I read the directions, a few websites, and found a few youtube videos to watch many times before I attempted it though. It's something I would take my time with and make sure it's all operating correctly before I took it out on the road.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I rebuilt mine without any issues... I also made sure I read the directions, a few websites, and found a few youtube videos to watch many times before I attempted it though. It's something I would take my time with and make sure it's all operating correctly before I took it out on the road.
How much of a difference did you notice from the steering and handling?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well... I did it in conjunction with all new steering linkages and such, I noticed visually the box reacting better to inputs from the steering wheel. Overall the truck felt a lot better, but I'm chalking it up to the whole system being refreshed.

Now I can go down the road without a quarter turn play in the wheel and she doesn't drift all over the road...

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ah good deal. I've changed out all my suspension components as well. Now all that's left is the power steering pump and gear box. Thanks

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31