Starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnyz453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I recently bought a 83 chevy k10 truck. It was doing fine and then the other day it started cutting off while driving if you didnt press on the gas pedal for awhile. Last night me and my dad started it and were just looking at different things and after like 2 minutes it died. After that it didnt want to start back up. This morning i went out and it started(not very quickly) i let it warm up and then turned it off to get something from inside. Went back out and it wouldnt start. Any ideas?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Possible bad fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter. Theres a main fuel filter on the passenger side inner frame rail and a sock filter on the fuel pump in the tanks. Sounds like you're losing fuel pressure.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Could be a fusible link in one of the power feeds starting to go or the ignition module.

Johnnyz453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Possible bad fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter. Theres a main fuel filter on the passenger side inner frame rail and a sock filter on the fuel pump in the tanks. Sounds like you're losing fuel pressure.

Going to buy a new fuel pump and fuel filter tomorrow and see what that does. Went to mess with it tonight and now it wont even start.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Try turning the ignition on, and probe the ignition hot line at the dizzy to see if you have voltage. You can also use a timing light to see if you are getting spark. If you are getting spark, and the engine is cranking, and you do not have a restricted intake (think: fuel, air, spark) then more than likely your problem is fuel related.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe