Starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toneskeyz74c10

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have a 74 c10 w/ a 454, it is fairly stock with just a few mods like MSD ignition, distributor/coil& wires, and full length headers. I have a Hitachi PSL100 starter and have been experiencing problems when trying to start motor after it has been ran for about 10 mins. The very first cold crank starts right up, but once the motor gets warm and I shut it off, when I go to start again I can hear the starter spin but the motor feels like it is cranking real slow then all of a sudden boom it will start. It has done this a few times and then most recently it wouldn't start at all. Battery has plently of juice, but when I turn the key nada. No cranking or anything. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

txfour

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
How have you verified battery has plenty of juice?

Check your grounds and connections on starter. However, if were that, it should do it all the time and not start perfectly when cold.

How old is the starter? Have you had it tested?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Usually sign of starter going out they don't work as well when there hot

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sounds like your starter is getting heat soaked from the headers. Install a metal heat shield around the starter or better yet some heat wrap. Its typical of these squares, especially with long tube headers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74