Starter replacement - should I upgrade to smaller one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I would like to replace my starter coming up this summer when I do my new battery cables and power lines(freyed ends, corroded. Wrong lengths) and I read in the past about a 95 + or something starter which bolts up, is faster, and better.

I was wondering what work is involved and how much better and/or worth it the job is.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I've had my truck about 17 years and I only replaced the starter once with a stock (probably rebuilt) unit from the parts store. The newer starters may be better, but I don't think its needed with relatively stock engine.

Make sure your starter has the brace on it, and I encourage you to use the correct GM starter bolts. GM starter bolts are unique (they have knurling that helps keep the starter better aligned), but not hard to find in the store. However, since regular bolts will also fit its common to find someone has used standard bolts. Also buy a pack of starter shims to use in case you need to make some minor adjustments.

Bruce

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I swapped my '73 boat anchor starter with an '02 (smaller) starter. MUCH lighter and clears the headers better. It's quieter and doesn't sound loaded down like the old one.

You HAVE to use the bolts for the smaller starter. The ones for the large starter WILL NOT WORK!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd always do that upgrade when the time comes. It's not only smaller, it's gear reducted. It's also good if you get into a vapor lock situation form time to time. The gear reducted starter has much better chance to power through the vapor lock and get it to turn over. Sometimes that will allow another degree or two of timing advance too. I know I've had to retard my timing before when it ran great but had that vapor lock situation and had to back it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebob14