Starter bad or solenoid bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a 76 c20 with a 454/th400 and i went to start it and it just clicked and my volts dropped to a lil over 8. I just put a amp for some speakers in so i thought maybe i wired it wrong and it ran the battery down so i tryed jumping it and it started clicking rapidly. i figured if the battery is bad it would still jump start so i started with the simple. I cleaned my battery connections and grounds and the connections at the starter and still nothing so i mad sure the engine would turn over so i put a socket on the crank and it spun. then i bought a new positive cable because old one had cranks and terminal on it broke. Still nothing so i took the starter of and hooked up jumper cables to the battery terminal on the solenoid and put the ground on the case and jumped it to the s terminal and it worked fine the clutch and motor engaged. i checked connection from the battery at the starter and i have 12.6 volts with i heard is fully charged. I didnt test the ignition wire that goes to the s terminal cause i have no one to crank engine. i cleaned everything again and installed it and still nothing. i forgot to mention that when i had the starter off it wouldnt engage with it hooked up to my truck connections so i hooked up jumper cables to the hot terminal on the starter from another battery and it engaged when i turned the key. what could this be? :shrug:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
My guess is your battery needs to be fully charged on a charger. If that doesn't do it the battery may have took a dump. I have had that happen before. Drove to work just fine in the morning, went to leave for lunch and click click click click, took the battery home to charge for the afternoon, brought it back fully charged and same thing. Had to tow the vehicle home. The battery had full voltage, but lost its cranking amps and found that out at the Interstate Battery store nearby. By you testing the starter out of the truck it didn't have any strain on it, it was just free-wheeling so the battery could spin it easily.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Start with replacing the battery to starter cable. then run the charge wire from the output post on the alternator straight to the positive post on the battery. Use no less then 4 gauge wire. Last if your alternator has an open bolt hole in the back run at least a 4 gauge wire from it to the negative post on the battery. This will keep the alternator cool and battery charged fully no matter what.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Start with replacing the battery to starter cable. then run the charge wire from the output post on the alternator straight to the positive post on the battery. Use no less then 4 gauge wire. Last if your alternator has an open bolt hole in the back run at least a 4 gauge wire from it to the negative post on the battery. This will keep the alternator cool and battery charged fully no matter what.

I'm only using 8g from the alternator to the battery. 4g would be pretty tough to get behind most alternators.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I ran new 4 gauge to starter already and cleaned the ground from alternator I don't have a wire going from alternator to the positive of battery, should I? It's charged my battery fine before, when it ran it ran 14.7 volts

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
4 gauge works with copper lugs just have curve it around

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
76chevyc20454 said:
I ran new 4 gauge to starter already and cleaned the ground from alternator I don't have a wire going from alternator to the positive of battery, should I? It's charged my battery fine before, when it ran it ran 14.7 volts
factory is charging from alternator to starter. which is ok but the way i explain is best as it can get.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
another thing is a battery can show 12+ volts all day but not have the cranking amps to turn the starter.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya I would have the battery checked for CAs cause usually the clicking is from a low battery.

I would also take the starter off and remove the solenoid. You can actually flip the contacts inside the solenoid around and have it like 100% again. I also stretch the spring so it has more tension and then reassemble it all. and see if that fixes anything.

That trick right there has saved me about a half dozen times over the years.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
another thing is a battery can show 12+ volts all day but not have the cranking amps to turn the starter.

Update: i took my battery to an auto parts store and they tested it and id didnt even take 30 seconds and it said bad battery. Now the question is whats a good battery? My budget is around $100.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Update: i took my battery to an auto parts store and they tested it and id didnt even take 30 seconds and it said bad battery. Now the question is whats a good battery? My budget is around $100.

Costco carries Interstate Batteries at a very good price point, which is what I would recommend. I think that should be near your budget. I'm also very happy with my el-cheapo O'Reilly Superstart battery, but I only got that because I didn't have time to go to Costco.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
All batteries are crap these days. The Interstates are the worst. The old DIE HARD batteries were good but just get something with at lest 700-750 CCAs and buy it from somewhere that will replace the battery when it goes south as the batteries now days are almost certain to do! And keep the receipt in the glove box with your insurance or something so you don't lose it.

My buddy bought an Interstate last summer and is on his 3rd one now. I bought a couple from Canadian Tire 3 years ago and im on my second set now so just make sure you can get them replaced for free when they crap out cause they will!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
All batteries are crap these days. The Interstates are the worst. The old DIE HARD batteries were good but just get something with at lest 700-750 CCAs and buy it from somewhere that will replace the battery when it goes south as the batteries now days are almost certain to do! And keep the receipt in the glove box with your insurance or something so you don't lose it.

My buddy bought an Interstate last summer and is on his 3rd one now. I bought a couple from Canadian Tire 3 years ago and im on my second set now so just make sure you can get them replaced for free when they crap out cause they will!

The higher end Interstates are good. I had one in my 94 and couldn't kill it even in -30 weather. I'll be putting another in my truck as soon as funds allow as they cost $160

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Here they prorate them, you don't get full replacement, unless it the battery takes a dump right away. Walmart batteries aren't bad, but like ogre said, expect them to go bad.

My girlfriend got one from Walmart about a year ago and it just went without warning last night. She drove it to work, no issues, drove it home, no issues. We went and got my truck and had dinner, I dropped her off and she was calling me right as I got home because her car is dead. Her and her daughter were going to go somehwere and nothing. No clicks at the starter, no lights, and couldn't lock it with the fob.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My dad took me to autozone and he bought me a duralast gold battery with 5 year replacement. It a 800cca at 0 and 1000 at 32 degrees. He told me it's just how you treat the battery. I can't complain lol it was free. Anyway I put it and and I just bumped it to see if it would turn over and it fired up. I was amazed considering it's been sitting for almost 2 weeks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64