Squeeky shackles after freeing them

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Well, here's my dilemma, I have been pondering why my truck has such a harsh ride. I am running a 6"lift with 20" wheels, 33" tires. When I first put this set-up on my truck, I kinda figured it was gonna get rough, but that was an understatement. I've been driving my truck around for about a year now feeling every pebble I run over. I recently got in a friends truck with the same set-up, only he's running 22" wheels with 33" tires, and to my surprise, the ride was excellent. After that I started to do some research, I found that my shackle bushings were over-tight, and were not letting the spring travel. I loosened the shackle bolts a little, sprayed a little lithium grease on the outside of the bushings. I took the truck for a spin and to my amazement, It felt as though I was in a completely different truck. It was soaking up the pot holes, speed bumps, train tracks etc., like a dream. I was dumbfounded big time! Now my problem is that the fugging shackles have an enormous squeak and grind to them, that I just can't remedy. Anyone have any suggestions? :think:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Are those the red polyurethane bushings? I've heard that they will squeak and the black ones won't.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've heard poly bushings squeak like crazy. Maybe take em apart and grease em up good?

Graystone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You have to keep them lubed up. Poly tends to make noise and requires more attention to prevent the noise

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Question, Does the bushing itself supposed to move inside the spring eye? Or does the sleeve move inside the bushing?

Graystone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Question, Does the bushing itself supposed to move inside the spring eye? Or does the sleeve move inside the bushing?

The sleeve and bolt is where the movement should take place. However with suspension movement the poly is moving against any thing it is touching. Since it is a stiffer material then rubber it will not deflect ad much as rubber. This causes it to slide against it. Unlike the rubber that will stretch or compress. Thus causing a squeak to occur in a dry area. That is why luberaction is needed to prevent this

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
They are sqweeking, because they are happy to be free!

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Well, I unbolted the shackles(frame and spring ends). I greased up the bolts, and outer sides of the bushings. The shackles looked like they were rubbing on metal bushings, very dry on both sides. I also noticed that the shackles have a cupped indentation on the side towards the bushings. The bushings on the frame were tapered and fit well in the cupped part of the shackle. The bushings on the springs, on the other hand, are flat. When the bolts were tightened down, the cupped part of the shackle and edges were digging into the flat part of the bushing. This is what was causing the binding. I greased the **** out of everything, tightened everything back up, took it for a spin, and everything is good. When the grease I applied runs its coarse, I will eventually need to get some bushings with the taper to them, or get some flat shackles. It is unbelievable how much this small issue affected the ride quality of my truck

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Several of mine have had lift springs with poly bushings, they've never squeaked. Have I just been lucky?

Graystone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Several of mine have had lift springs with poly bushings, they've never squeaked. Have I just been lucky?

Depends a lot on the material used they have a name for the softness of something I am just not that smart to remember it. Not all poly is the same some manufacturers use different softnesses. And it is a game of luck. Some applications will not see the movement that will cause a squeak. Poly is more for longevity and performance.

Some may see more sqeaks as well with more aggressive driving habits or different components

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Great info in here guys. Is there a recommended brand of bushings that you guys have found or a brand to stay away from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS