Sport rear bumper interchangability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Hey guys,

So this weekend is LKQpickapart's 50% off everything sale and was gonna go look for a few things. The main thing is a rear bumper (and brackets). The yard up here has two squares but neither one has the sport, they have the step bumpers. I was just gonna possibly grab one of them but then I remembered someone saying the suburbans can have the same bumper. Well, unfortunately the only square burb they have isn't what I'm looking for.

But then I thought about the old G20 vans.... And they do have a few of those up there. The bumpers look pretty similar (possibly identical) in the picture. So does anyone know if those are the same sport bumpers and brackets our trucks use or are they different? If they are different, how much different and are the brackets at least the same? I could possibly reuse my old bumper but the brackets for them are shot/partially missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before this weekend's trip up there!:cheers:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Hey guys,

So this weekend is LKQpickapart's 50% off everything sale and was gonna go look for a few things. The main thing is a rear bumper (and brackets). The yard up here has two squares but neither one has the sport, they have the step bumpers. I was just gonna possibly grab one of them but then I remembered someone saying the suburbans can have the same bumper. Well, unfortunately the only square burb they have isn't what I'm looking for.

But then I thought about the old G20 vans.... And they do have a few of those up there. The bumpers look pretty similar (possibly identical) in the picture. So does anyone know if those are the same sport bumpers and brackets our trucks use or are they different? If they are different, how much different and are the brackets at least the same? I could possibly reuse my old bumper but the brackets for them are shot/partially missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before this weekend's trip up there!:cheers:

No those are completely different bumpers. The square body fleetside rear sport bumper wraps around the sides very similar to the front bumper.

The G20 bumper does look an awful lot like the stepside short box rear bumper though

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I don't suppose you know if the brackets are totally different then too?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No idea

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The van bumpers are the same as '73-'80 truck bumpers EXCEPT for one very important detail. The bolt holes are in completely different locations. And the brackets are nothing the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512