someone help me figure this out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The other day my 79 c20 was having electrical/ignition issues.. id turn the key to start it amd got nothing... I threw a new ignition switch in it and adjusted it and finally it started again with the key. For some reason i had pulled my wiper fuse out a couple days before. I put another fuse in so my wipers would work again and what do ya know my truck didnt want to start again! I dont get why this is happening since i havent messed with any of the wiring down there ever and its ran perfectly fine for years... Has anyone of you had this problem before and what did you do to fix it?? Its driving me insane!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Possible connection issues at the back of the fuse block - or at the firewall penetration connector? I only suggest this because the problem returned immediately after plugging in the wiper fuse.

This is probably easiest if done while kneeling down outside the truck or with the help of an assistant. Turn the key to START - and hold it there. Reach down and try wiggling the wiring behind the fuse block. If the starter suddenly cranks up, there is most likely a loose connection.

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ill have to give that a try. My neighbor came over and was bullshittin with me for awhile n I told him what was goin on. He told me to flip my lights on and it cranked up... tried it again the next day and got nothing. There was no power to anything in the dash..

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Before you do anything, just be sure you have the basics covered:

1. Battery is known good - and fully charged.

2. Battery cables (positive post to starter and negative post to engine ground) are good.

3. Connections at both ends of each battery cable are clean & tight.

4. Primary cab feed connection at firewall junction block is clean/tight

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes sir. all the things on your list are good. Its just the wiper fuse. It's killin power to the cab for everything besides the dome light. Pulled it out today and it started again. Just wont have wipers, which sucks cuz it been rainy the past few days...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Try unplugging the harness connector to the wiper/washer assemblies. Then replace the fuse and turn the key to START/RUN.

If the system power remains up - that isolates the problem to the wiper/washer motor and you can concentrate there.

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That'll be my next step. I was thinkin I might have to replace the wiper/washer unit soon anyways since it wont spray washer fluid when I hit the switch. Although the switch could be the problem... I wish it wasnt so nasty out or I'd be more motivated to work on my toys hahah. C'mon summer!

TJ79Cheyenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Torrance
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It seems like somethin is ******* up my ignition switch...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ