slowing a leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I have not been driving my truck recently for whatever reason, and need to take it on a trip in a week (90 miles) or so.

Ive got a severe power steering leak, i assume the entire system needs replacing, but due to funds that is not possible in a weeks time.

I am thinking of replacing the hoses, anything special involved with that? Do i need to bleed the system or is it just turn wrench and install the new ones?

I am not looking to stop the leak completely just slow it down.

Thanks. On my cell sorry if the grammar sucks.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Where is the leak?

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
My initial thought is the hoses and the steering box. I am off tomorrow and plan on trying to diagnose it better.

the truck has leaked since i bought it 4 years ago, and everyone has said just add fluid but i am now adding 3/4 of a quart every other day.

sorry to ramble, but i believe i should really diagnose it better and then get back

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Yup, do that and the guys here will provide you an answer

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I looked and i really have no way of telling where it is coming from, all the hoses are wet and the box is covered in 20 years of ****. I reckon I'll have to take another car down otherwise id spend 300 dollars on fluid. ****

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
A can of engine bright will help. You will want it degreased befor you fix it anyhow. If it's slinging it off the pully it is probably the pump shaft seal and if it's just dripping out of the case its the pump to case O-ring seal or one of the case to fitting O-rings. Looking at $40.00 for a pump and borrowing a puller for the pulley. Probably take three hours to do if your inexperienced. If it's a hose your looking at $25 for both and an hours time. Both are easy fixes.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Smitch320 said:
I looked and i really have no way of telling where it is coming from, all the hoses are wet and the box is covered in 20 years of ****. I reckon I'll have to take another car down otherwise id spend 300 dollars on fluid. ****
slow down bud take a couple rags and wipe the hoses and pump down dry. take it for a ride around the block and check again.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
This is going to sound stupid, but what do you think is more likely? The hoses? I can tell a night and day difference that there is more "fluid" present towards the "lower end"of the system.

I might get the hoses and clean it up tomorrow and see if that slows it down.

Like i say, the damn thing has always leaked since ive owned it, and i am not looking to stop, but slow it rather. After all it is a hunting truck.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
slow down bud take a couple rags and wipe the hoses and pump down dry. take it for a ride around the block and check again.

You are right. HAHA sometimes i get frustrated when i dont understand things or cant fix them without asking for help

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
This is going to sound stupid, but what do you think is more likely? The hoses? I can tell a night and day difference that there is more "fluid" present towards the "lower end"of the system.

I might get the hoses and clean it up tomorrow and see if that slows it down.

Like i say, the damn thing has always leaked since ive owned it, and i am not looking to stop, but slow it rather. After all it is a hunting truck.

Thats not stupid. I would look at hoses first too. Probably the return since it is attached with a hose clamp on at least the pump end. If its a pressure line you could have somone turn it lock to lock while you look for a leak. It should be pretty easy to find that way. I havent seen too many pumps leak. I ran one for 16 years and no telling how old it was when I got it. Original? Might be! My steering gear leaked but only when it was below 20 deg F so I left it.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
yup it very well could just be one of the hoses high or low pressure. I'd dry them off and replace the one that failed.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Take some EZ Off and spray the whole area, let the oven cleaner work for a while and then wash everything off with a garden hose hooked up to a hot water supply (like the hot water supply to the washing machine). Do it again if necessary. When all the hoses and fittings are fairly clean you should be able to easily find the source of the leak.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just a loose hose clamp on the return line.

Jeez, George you're like a mind reader.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
chengny Jeez said:
Yeah, If only I could read my wifes mind! On second thought mabey not.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Thanks guys, as always.

chengny