Silly Question about gas pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1986ChrisK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So maybe I have been super spoiled with drive by wire these past 17 years. But is there a way to lube the gas pedal cable? It seems to take a good effort to push the gas pedal.

I finally got the truck on the road and stretched its legs. After driving it a good decent distance now, it seems my idle is super low. But it ran great before with just yard driving. Any ideas on that?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
So maybe I have been super spoiled with drive by wire these past 17 years. But is there a way to lube the gas pedal cable? It seems to take a good effort to push the gas pedal.

I finally got the truck on the road and stretched its legs. After driving it a good decent distance now, it seems my idle is super low. But it ran great before with just yard driving. Any ideas on that?

Yes, you can lube it with lithium or graphite. You also may want to look at your throttle return spring, it might be too stiff.

1986ChrisK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks Jrgunn, I was away and unable to respond on my phone.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
Thanks Jrgunn, I was away and unable to respond on my phone.

I have a TBI 89 so it may not be applicable, but i also had a really stiff pedal, especially the first inch or two. I did what everyone told me to do and lube it and then replace it. Lubing it didn't work, so I replaced it with aftermarket from LMC. Bad mistake. It was stiff and jerky and got so stiff during a 40 mile drive that it began to bend my pedal rod assembly. I had to put the old one back on. I went to GM and they no longer make the cable, so you have to find an old stock OEM cable on a shelf somewhere or find a good aftermarket one. I found an OE one online and it was soooo buttery smooth.

I vote to find an OE cable. If you plan on keeping the truck for a while, buy two, they are cheap enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody