Should I go topless this summer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thinking about taking the top off my CUCV Blazer for the summer, wondering if it's worth the effort. I've never had a convertible, or anything with a removable top, just a couple of cars with sunroofs, which didn't do anything for me.

I'm not worried about security, I rarely lock it, and usually don't carry anything valuable. It doesn't rain much in the summer, so that's not an issue. I do notice that when I drive with the back window open I get some exhaust smell inside, not sure if that would happen with the top off. I would assume it would be cooler with the top off (no a/c).

Any input would be appreciated.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Thinking about taking the top off my CUCV Blazer for the summer, wondering if it's worth the effort. I've never had a convertible, or anything with a removable top, just a couple of cars with sunroofs, which didn't do anything for me.

I'm not worried about security, I rarely lock it, and usually don't carry anything valuable. It doesn't rain much in the summer, so that's not an issue. I do notice that when I drive with the back window open I get some exhaust smell inside, not sure if that would happen with the top off. I would assume it would be cooler with the top off (no a/c).

Any input would be appreciated.
I spose it would depend on what kinda shape You are in on top if You go topless or not... Just saying..

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Misleading title!!!

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
Absolutely! If you can swing it budget wise a softopper is awesome.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Just throwing this out there. Take off the doors instead. I like taking the doors off on my scout, it's fun

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I sometimes take the top off of my Jimmy. It's nice! A PITA, but nice. I need to get off my duff and build a lift for it. I have a soft top but don't use it...yet.

edit: Try it, you'll like it! If you're old and have a bad back like me, get a friend to help. It's not really that heavy but darn awkward. I've done it by myself but that was in the days when nothing could hurt me.

Last edited:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'd say try it ! :)

Full disclosure - all the 2 door sport utes I have owned had the fully removable top, not just the half cap.

Not as much fun (my .02) for the driver, BUT there is some shade from the direct sun that way.

All of them are relatively heavy - while I have done the metal full tops on RamChargers with 2 people I prefer 3.

I can see that being an asset for the half top, too.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Much of the Jeep crowd does this regularly. It's not particularly easy, but you only have to do it twice a year.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well it is a Blazer. Is this really a question? Kinda the whole point of having a K5...

You totally should, you won't be disappointed. The exhaust smell with the window down is an aerodynamics thing, it isn't like that with the top off. The top is not that heavy, it's easy enough to do with a buddy. If you really like it, you can rig up a system to do it yourself, my dad used to have something on the ceiling of the garage he could hook the top on his '75 up to and drive out from under it.

Like said above, I used to do it several times a summer often by myself when I was a scrawny kid barely out of high school, it was tricky doing it solo but nothing was gonna stop me I wanted that top off. Eventually I had a routine worked out where it wasn't so bad.

Last edited:

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I sometimes take the top off of my Jimmy. It's nice! A PITA, but nice. I need to get off my duff and build a lift for it.

I have four chains hanging from the ceiling in my garage. I back my truck under the chains, unbolt my 8’ topper, and lift it enough to slide a couple of 2x4s under the topper. An eyebolt on each end of the 2x4s hooks to the chains. Lift it a couple inches and hook it to the chain and drive away. Topper off and stored in less than 10 minutes. No heavy lifting involved.

Codfish

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe I'll give it a try, I have a fiberglass cap for my Ford pickup and put that on from time to time, so am familiar with the awkwardness. I don't think I would like running without the doors unless I had some of the tube style 1/2 doors or something. I was more concerned with the exhaust fumes, which I figured shouldn't be an issue.

Guess I need to clean out a space in the shop to store the top.

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As it hangs right now. I can still raise it almost 2 more feet. Don’t loose any floor space this way.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS