Shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Well a friend of mine gave me a brand new set of Pro Comp ES3000 shocks, they were for a K5 or Suburban that he had (he owned both but couldnt remember which he bought the shocks for) that was lifted 6in. The rear shocks went on without a problem to replace my well worn Rancho 5000's.

Now my problem is with the front, the shocks he gave me have metal spacers in the eyes at the end and pro comp thought they were cool by painting them along with the rubber bushing. I tried to beat one out with a 5lb sledge with minimal luck, Im kind of affraid to use a press to knock them out with fear I can damage the rubber.

Is there an alternative method to push them out other then a press or do I need to just man up, and get rough with it. :Jedi:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
They could be moulded to the poly bushing, would it be easier to change the mount bolt? Or drill it out if it is only slightly bigger? Like the difference of SAE vs metric?

J@meson

Reaction score
First Name
Jameson
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Well the lower side of the shock fits in the mount its the upper where they stick out 3/4-1in on each side. Honestly I could wizz wheel off the amount that is hanging out to make it fit in the upper shock mount. But the bolts that are installed on the truck now are the size of the bushing opening on the Rancho's. So in a perfect word cutting them down and a new set of bolts could work.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
To me that option sounds better than beating your brains out on a shock and possibly messing it up, if indeed the metal part is injection moulded with the poly bushing. (Polyurethane dont give much) If you had a press handy I would try that instead of beating on it, but swapping out the bolts seems like the easier route to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76