Sbc dumping oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
I don't believe there is a difference
Wix is no longer Wix and the NAPA Gold WAS a Wix --- but it's kinda clouded especially if it's from Evilbay and Amazon.

Confused? So am I and I just buy ACs any more.

If you buy ACs, make sure they aren't counterfeit. How can you tell? Usually by the price --- but the packaging doesn't look "right" on the counterfeit, if you know what I mean.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Here’s an update, about a few weeks ago the wix filter blew. Right at the o ring. I went to the parts store and changed the oil again with castrol gtx 20w50 and rislone zinc additive. The guy at the store recommended one of those k&n filters with the heavier o ring on it and to put a small film of rtv on the ring. I did that and it hasn’t had an issue yet. When I had the filter off however, I noticed the housing that screws into the block is cracked. Could this be part of my issue with 10psi at hot 550 rpm idle and 60 psi on the freeway with 20w50 oil? If I put a non bypass housing on there, would I be able to go down to a 15w40 oil and maintain decent pressure at idle?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Ye
Here’s an update, about a few weeks ago the wix filter blew. Right at the o ring. I went to the parts store and changed the oil again with castrol gtx 20w50 and rislone zinc additive. The guy at the store recommended one of those k&n filters with the heavier o ring on it and to put a small film of rtv on the ring. I did that and it hasn’t had an issue yet. When I had the filter off however, I noticed the housing that screws into the block is cracked. Could this be part of my issue with 10psi at hot 550 rpm idle and 60 psi on the freeway with 20w50 oil? If I put a non bypass housing on there, would I be able to go down to a 15w40 oil and maintain decent pressure at idle?
Yes! Probably explains everything. How was it cracked? Got pics? Shouldn't need to glue on an oil filter. What if it fell off while driving lol. Get a new oil filter adapter. I'm not sure exactly what it's called but I'm pretty sure it's technically an adapter because originally the small block had a cartridge.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yep, no glue/rtv needed to install an oil filter. Just a film of oil on the gasket and hand tighten. And, of course making sure the mating surface on the engine is clean and smooth. If the housing is cracked I would highly recommend replacing it.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The aluminum is cracked all the way across over to the nipple where the filter screws on, should I get another bypass adapter or get one with no bypass so it all goes through the filter? Oil gets dark quick and I’m wondering if the bypass is sticking open?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Sounds like the Crack is causing the filter to loosten up and also internally bleed pressure. Yes get a new adapter. But I'm not sure which would be best, bypass vs non? Maybe someone else on here knows. Guessing non bypass but I really didn't know I had a choice lol. I've gotten hi bypass filters before though.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
What I've been doing on my 350 trucks on the oil filter gasket, is coating the new filter's gasket with fresh oil(easy to do if you put some oil in the filter anyway) and I leave a very thin film of oil on the mounting surface (both have the towing package so they have the aluminum adapter that the oil cooler lines hook into). I learned if the mounting surface is squeaky clean, the filter will get stuck on it, even with the new gasket being oiled. May be just our SE Texas heat and humidity at work, but I like to be able to get the filter off w/o mangling it, it's a little less messy that way!

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
I usually tap the bypass port and put a plug in it. If you change your oil regularly it's a non-factor. By all means replace the cracked adaptor.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I’ll buy one of the adapters off jegs without a bypass. I have a high volume pump in the truck and 20w50 oil for the summer, I run 10 psi in gear hot idle and 50 at 3000rpm on the highway, should I try going down to rotella 15w40 since it won’t have a bypass or stick with the 20w50? It runs great off the 20w50 and has a melling pump drive shaft. Has a k&n hp3003 filter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko