Sbc dumping oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
1970 350 engine, i know I’m an idiot. I blipped the throttle a couple times while it was cold and all of a sudden it dumped almost all the oil on the ground. When I start it it has a steady stream of oil dumping on the ground. I can’t see exactly where it’s coming from, but it’s the under side near the flex plate and oil filter. It has always dripped a little oil from the oil filter and rear main. Is it possible for the rear main to blow out and for it to do that? Or could it be the filter or something else?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep, it's possible. LS swap is prolly less work if so. Just saying.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Probably double ringed the oil filter. Oil when cold is thicker and has more psi. Be glad you weren't driving it lol.
sounds like this.......This reminds me of,,,,,,,,,once i had bought a truck from a guy and he had poked a very small hole in the oil filter so that when the oil ran out it would seize the engine so he could come along and say ill buy it back for less than i paid...
he was a real piece of work. come to find out he did this a lot. i think some body took him out:biggun:last i heard.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
sounds like this.......This reminds me of,,,,,,,,,once i had bought a truck from a guy and he had poked a very small hole in the oil filter so that when the oil ran out it would seize the engine so he could come along and say ill buy it back for less than i paid...
he was a real piece of work. come to find out he did this a lot. i think some body took him out:biggun:last i heard.
Love a happy ending...

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a high volume oil pump in it so it makes 60lbs of pressure on cold start idle. If it was the sending unit wouldn’t it have sprayed the inside of the hood too? There’s no oil on the top of the engine and it’s a lot of oil pouring out

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Started it and looked under and it’s all coming out from the filter o ring it looks like. What kind of filter should I get?

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
O rings are not double stacked

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Any difference between a wix 51061 and a Napa gold 1061?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1