S10 and G body brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I know some of you have S10s also. So what are brake interchange, and upgrades like we're some years S10 fronts better than others were some year G body brakes better and are they a direct swap. We are talking 2wd but if 4wd had better fronts can they swap in ?. Use the spindle, brakes and outter joint with no axle attached?Looking for G body brake options and am under the impression the G body and S10 use the same brakes. Need to clear 15 inch wheels.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
My grandson(Kooper) has a 91 s10, all stock running gear, so far. Disc front, drum rear and we are using 14" slot mags all around. Not saying they are the best brakes around, but they seem to be doing a decent job of stopping so far. I have done nothing to them except for inspecting and cleaning them up a little since we got the rig. Later on, after the old school 327 goes in we will upgrade.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My grandson(Kooper) has a 91 s10, all stock running gear, so far. Disc front, drum rear and we are using 14" slot mags all around. Not saying they are the best brakes around, but they seem to be doing a decent job of stopping so far. I have done nothing to them except for inspecting and cleaning them up a little since we got the rig. Later on, after the old school 327 goes in we will upgrade.

Have you done a v8 s10 before? I have, all from scratch including the mounts.So if you have questions when the time comes. Just ask me.

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Have not done one before. Need all kinds of info. Best mounts or build your own? We were gonna go Muncie M21, but he has changed his mind about that. Now it's gonna be a 700R4 with a little bit of convertor in it. Looking at a short water pump with ps and alt. Have heard a newer Corvette radiator works, but don't know much about cooling, except NO flex fan, going with a clutch fan and bigger bladed. What can you tell me?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Why are you swapping brakes if they are the same, which I am pretty sure that they are? Pretty sure the S10 brakes are pretty much the same from '83 to 2000's with no real pros and cons to any that I am aware of.

What are your plans for the truck?

In '95 I used to roadrace and daily drive a then new '95 S10. I upgraded the fronts to some Wilwood and the rears to Lincoln (Versaille?) on the 9". The stock brake rotors would overheat on summer canyon runs and crack easily which necessitated the Wilwood. Suspension was Upper and Lower Arms from Chisolm and the rear was a non-parallel 4 link with a Watts Link. I probably would do a truck arm set-up for a smoother ride if I had to do it again.

I never swapped to a V8 but ran the CPI V6 with some port work and a few other mods and upgraded T5. The main reason I didn't swap to the V8 was the weight on the front end. Aluminum blocks and even heads weren't quite as prevalent as they are now. The truck had a tendency to get a bit too loose until I added weights in the back of the bed. Now, I'd LS swap in a second with an aluminum block.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Stock G-body brakes are no better than stock S10 brakes. In fact, the G-body crowd seems to use later S10 or Blazer spindles as a swap. IIRC, the early 2000 caliper/spindle package is considered the best budget upgrade, as it uses "stock" parts that should be readily available. It's been a while since I researched it.

HOTFOOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k3500 srw
Engine Size
Four door two wheel drive have two piston calipers which is better than single piston, 98-05 then if you want you can modify to fit c5-c6 vette calipers on

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Four door two wheel drive have two piston calipers which is better than single piston, 98-05 then if you want you can modify to fit c5-c6 vette calipers on

Yep, the later 2wd Blazers had twin piston calipers that were also floating.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Are the spindles and rotors all the same or do I need spindles calipers and rotors?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Spindles, calipers, abutments and rotors.

Oh yeah, and unit bearings too. So technically it's a knuckle rather than a spindle.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Have not done one before. Need all kinds of info. Best mounts or build your own? We were gonna go Muncie M21, but he has changed his mind about that. Now it's gonna be a 700R4 with a little bit of convertor in it. Looking at a short water pump with ps and alt. Have heard a newer Corvette radiator works, but don't know much about cooling, except NO flex fan, going with a clutch fan and bigger bladed. What can you tell me?

What engine is in it now? I used a long water pump out of an 1984 Camaro.Made my mounts, Exhaust cleared everything.Used a TH350 and the s10 crossmember. Had to cut about 1/2 inch off the P.S. snout and tack the pulley. It's been a while I think I used the Camaro radiator, but brain is thinking I might have used 4.3 S10 radiator.Have to notch the A.C. box. I ran an electric fan. Get back to me about your current engine because that is going to affect mounts. Oh and drive shaft I went to the JY after everything was mounted stuck a yoke in the transmission pushed it al the way in pulled it out a n inch measured and just kept measuring all the GM driveshaft laying under cars tell I found one that worked. It was really easy. Oh yea I had to cut the widest part of the TH350 about an inch on each side to make it 2 inches narrower total.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Oh yeah, and unit bearings too. So technically it's a knuckle rather than a spindle.

So just seperate the ball joints, and the rod end, undo the brake hose and grab everything that falls to the ground,Spindles same height and same bal joints so just pop it right in?

Thanks for the help.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Why are you swapping brakes if they are the same, which I am pretty sure that they are? Pretty sure the S10 brakes are pretty much the same from '83 to 2000's with no real pros and cons to any that I am

What are your plans for the truck?

In '95 I used to roadrace and daily drive a then new '95 S10. I upgraded the fronts to some Wilwood and the rears to Lincoln (Versaille?) on the 9". The stock brake rotors would overheat on summer canyon runs and crack easily which necessitated the Wilwood. Suspension was Upper and Lower Arms from Chisolm and the rear was a non-parallel 4 link with a Watts Link. I probably would do a truck arm set-up for a smoother ride if I had to do it again.

I never swapped to a V8 but ran the CPI V6 with some port work and a few other mods and upgraded T5. The main reason I didn't swap to the V8 was the weight on the front end. Aluminum blocks and even heads weren't quite as prevalent as they are now. The truck had a tendency to get a bit too loose until I added weights in the back of the bed. Now, I'd LS swap in a second with an aluminum block.

Just an occasional driver but If I've gotta buy brakes anyway and no big changes to run newer better stuff than that seems best.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli