running sluggish with new headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieDelight

Reaction score
First Name
billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just installed longtubes headers on my 1987 chevy with a 350. With the stock manifolds it ran great, but now it is sluggish. I am wondering if this could be due to the O2 sensor not being hooked back up on the headers, or if maybe I have a vacuum leak now since all the smog crap is off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
For sure you need to get the O2 sensor hooked up. The headers will lean out the air/fuel mixture so if the O2 is unhooked how will the ECM compensate?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
My 87 with a 350 ran no different before i installed and connected the o2 sensor. I would think you have a vac leak since the smog has been removed. There are a lot of vacuum connections that need to be capped off. Take a look around the intake manifold for vac leaks.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Guessing it's TBI. Did you remove the EGR? If so what are the chances the knock sensor is picking up knock and retarding the timing? Without an EGR there could be more knock. How about fuel pressure? Headers mean more flow through the engine so It would need to have the proper pressure. If theres not enough pressure it will be a slouch. I also agree with MadO on the O2 being important. It would be good if you could connect with a PC and some software so you could see whats doing what......

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
First things first, INSTALL THE O2 SENSOR!!!

As long as you plugged any vacuum lines you removed (I don't even remember the TBI motors having any for the smog pump stuff) and didn't do any other repair/mods, speculation is pointless without an O2 sensor.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
First things first, INSTALL THE O2 SENSOR!!!

As long as you plugged any vacuum lines you removed (I don't even remember the TBI motors having any for the smog pump stuff) and didn't do any other repair/mods, speculation is pointless without an O2 sensor.

Yup

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor

"Automotive oxygen sensors, colloquially known as O2 sensors, make modern electronic fuel injection and emission control possible. They help determine, in real time, if the air–fuel ratio of a combustion engine is rich or lean. "

But still... the 3% better your exhaust flows now is completely starving that engine of fuel because the exhaust gasses are just rocketing out of the engine so fast the fuel system cant keep up. Its not defaulting to super rich by design or anything because there is no O2 sensor hooked up. Does it puff black smoke when you mash on it? I know that helps power big time with diesel engines, its just weird how trucks with tbi blowing black smoke lose power?

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor

"Automotive oxygen sensors, colloquially known as O2 sensors, make modern electronic fuel injection and emission control possible. They help determine, in real time, if the air–fuel ratio of a combustion engine is rich or lean. "

But still... the 3% better your exhaust flows now is completely starving that engine of fuel because the exhaust gasses are just rocketing out of the engine so fast the fuel system cant keep up. Its not defaulting to super rich by design or anything because there is no O2 sensor hooked up. Does it puff black smoke when you mash on it? I know that helps power big time with diesel engines, its just weird how trucks with tbi blowing black smoke lose power?

If your serious about that last sentence.... It doesn't "help" power in diesels when blowing black smoke, just in some cases its a bi product of higher power not burning the fuel effeciently. Black smoke is unburned fuel, gas or diesel.
Is a diesel, black smoke does not at all mean the engine has more power, it just means the engine has more fuel than it needs, that for some reason or purposefully, there is fuel that cannot be burned due to a lack of air needed to burn a certain volume of fuel. Essentialy, not really robbing it of power.

In a gas engine, the same basic idea is here too...Just overfueling hurts the engine powerwise.
This is because your putting more fuel in, but with the lack of air for that fuel the combustion will not have the power of one that has the correct air fuel ratio, 14.7:1
I'd assume the reason for difference is due to either or both the fuel combustibility differences, and the combustion process differences

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80