Rounded off exhaust manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I hate rust!!! 3 of my bolts for my exhaust manifold rounded off, I have no clue how to get them out. I tried vise grips, a smaller socket... any other ideas?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
If you have some old 12 point sockets, hammer whatever size fits over the bolt head and apply pressure while turning. You did soak them down with PB Blaster or some other quality rust penetrant and used a six point socket first?
No? Me neither....

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Do these actually work? I got a set of the opposites of these, the ones that you drill a hole and run them in... The ones you use when you break the bolt off. They absolutely suck.
Yes they work

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I had a stripped seat bolt on the 79 camaro bucket got, and I used my craftsman set like linked above, pulled it right off.

I bought them to try and a broke tbi bolts on my 88 they weren't small enough to fit.

Now I've got like 5 brok eones in the olds 403 heads sadly several of those broke off flush with the head, I figure no way will an e-z out or whatever you wanna call them extractors would work. I think I'll end up drilling them out and heli-coil or maybe on some the way th eolds head is made you can get a nut on the backside.

sbc stuff aint gonna happen.

I was told wd-40 rust release beats pb blaster and all others, can't confirm.

heat works great if you got an oxy/ace type torch propane will put some heat on it but not get it glowing red like a nice cutting torch.

You can also weld a nut on if you have a welder. That also helps because it will get said stud red hot as well.

I myself plan to try some wd-40 rust release stuff, not the OG wd-40 and also may give those sockets a try never thought of trying them on the heads to be honest.

Also they make a stud extractor, that works off a 1/2 drive ratchet, breaker bar etc. I have one but not mines brok eon the end for some reason.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I had a stripped seat bolt on the 79 camaro bucket got, and I used my craftsman set like linked above, pulled it right off.

I bought them to try and a broke tbi bolts on my 88 they weren't small enough to fit.

Now I've got like 5 brok eones in the olds 403 heads sadly several of those broke off flush with the head, I figure no way will an e-z out or whatever you wanna call them extractors would work. I think I'll end up drilling them out and heli-coil or maybe on some the way th eolds head is made you can get a nut on the backside.

sbc stuff aint gonna happen.

I was told wd-40 rust release beats pb blaster and all others, can't confirm.

heat works great if you got an oxy/ace type torch propane will put some heat on it but not get it glowing red like a nice cutting torch.

You can also weld a nut on if you have a welder. That also helps because it will get said stud red hot as well.

I myself plan to try some wd-40 rust release stuff, not the OG wd-40 and also may give those sockets a try never thought of trying them on the heads to be honest.

Also they make a stud extractor, that works off a 1/2 drive ratchet, breaker bar etc. I have one but not mines brok eon the end for some reason.
If your getting Nina have the heads redone have the machine shop get them out.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
If you have some old 12 point sockets, hammer whatever size fits over the bolt head and apply pressure while turning. You did soak them down with PB Blaster or some other quality rust penetrant and used a six point socket first?
No? Me neither....
Yea I used some pb and a six point socket.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Ok those are nice tools and pick up a set for me too please, but we haven't dealt with rustedstuckandfucked exhaust manifold yet...
Deal with this like a real Man-Welder would..
Got a cutting torch? Blow those buggered heads off. Get on with your day.
No torch? Hee hee zip disk party and 'disappear' those goofed heads.
Then deal with getting the studs out of the block. That will be easy compared to trying to spin off rusted garbage.
Replace with headers and quality hardware.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hammer on a 6 point socket after using the PB Blaster and tapping with a hammer. A 6 point should have more purchase, even if it is the wrong size. Using a 12 point on a rounded bolt or nut is going to make it more pounded. There are sockets and wrenches that work like an EZ Out, but the WD 40 or whatever is your friend.

TnSnapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Aerokroil. Period. Best stuff I have ever used. It is also good for the gun that hangs in my rack in the backglass.

Reactions: WFO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benn95