Rockwell Axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sawtelle

Reaction score
First Name
darryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
coming soon 350
Hello everyone I am new to this site as you will see from my post count. First off I have searched the forums and only seen one thread with a guy running rockwells but it didnt really show anything or talk about them. I have an 87 chevy K10 shortbox named special K and am currently swapping in a 350. I have very little money left over to put into it now but my next project for the truck would be 2-1/2 ton rockwell axles if I could get enough information and money to get it done. I am looking for information like where is the best place to find them. How much money do the axles usually cost. What would the fab work look like to get them under the truck and hooked up. Thank you all.

BigRuss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reece
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe C10
Engine Size
305 5.0L
dont plan on using your truck on the streets... Rockwells are not DOT approved... badass nonetheless

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
You can use Rocks on the street in most states aslong as you convert them to use wheel brakes instead of driveline brakes. There is a kit to be able to reuse 8 lugger wheels on rocks with one ton brakes just cant remember who its made by.

BigRuss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reece
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe C10
Engine Size
305 5.0L
never seen someone sacrifice the cool ass driveline brake to run their truck on the street... the Guy who owns Wilson Off Road in Fayetteville NC drives his with it on the streets for close to shop shows... its more of a display vehicle for what they can do

sawtelle

Reaction score
First Name
darryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
coming soon 350
Sorry for the newb post I searched for hours and still overlooked that thread. Thank you guys for your input. I just finished reading frostbites build. That is epic. I have seen the brake coversion done by Stacey David on the sgt. rock project. I really need to get the 350 swap done. My truck is currently in maine in my dads garage and im living in RI 190 miles away. once I get it down here I work in a machine shop and have a buddy with a full shop so I can really get under way with my build plans.

sawtelle

Reaction score
First Name
darryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
coming soon 350
What is this D70 axle im seeing some people talk about is it pretty heavy duty. Im looking to eventually run 46 to 49in tires and I have a heavy foot so I want something extremely heavy duty from the factory without needing upgraded parts. thank you.

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
You can run rockwells on the street, the military does it every day! A 44 inch tire is about as small you would want to run. 46" or 49" would be better. These axles have 6.71 gears. The military drives these trucks at about 55 MPH max when on the highway. These axles are referred to as top loader axles. The third member (what they call the "chunk") will get hot at prolonged speeds above 55 MPH. They come with drum brakes but most people convert them to disk brakes for the street. Also you will want to use manuel locking hubs on the front axle. You will mess up your front drive shaft and maybe the front of your transfer case if you run in two wheel drive on the highway without unlocking the hubs first. This is if your not using the military transfer case.

chevydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
hunt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I have a freind who has a bobbed deuce in a half which run rock wells. It depends how much money you want to spend. you can buy Detroit lockers and locking hubs for them. I would personally use a 4 link suspension set up. Depending on how mechanically able you are. So I would run the dana 70 in the rear and dana 60 in the front. This will be expensive but so will building Rockwell axles the right way. and getting them to their full potential.

sawtelle

Reaction score
First Name
darryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
coming soon 350
Ya the plan right now is finish the 350 swap by jan. Then I am building an exo cage for her. Right now im on 35s, and where I live trails are very tight. Then it will be axles with four link and coilovers if I have the cash to do it at the time. I am thinking do hp d60 in front and d70 out back cause im looking to stay somewhere around 6" to 8" of suspension lift and see how much tire I can stuff under there. I plan on doing a lot of sheet metal trimming. so I might just stick with 44s instead of stuffing 46 to 49s.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Just remember Rockwelss are wider then a regular axle unless you flip the hubs and run negative offset wheels then you hurt your turning radius.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
never seen someone sacrifice the cool ass driveline brake to run their truck on the street... the Guy who owns Wilson Off Road in Fayetteville NC drives his with it on the streets for close to shop shows... its more of a display vehicle for what they can do

Frostbite is doing it in that thread link that was posted above. He's making his adaption for spindles and all. I can't wait to see that project get going.

dirtroadoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
The rocks can be narrowed as well.

I would suggest 49"+ tires for Rockwells. Ground clearance for the axle housing is a bear but DIY4X has some skid plate deals that replace the bottom cover and maximize clearance and that would help. Leaf sprung will work but I wouldn't suggest it because your frame would pay the price. Lots to consider.

Google will help you find the several braking options out there but I'd probably consider pinion brakes because it seems like your rig is off-road only.

The only steering that I would choose for rockies would be full-hydraulic.

I like your idea of running the Danas because the setup expense alone is enough to deter me from rocks. I had a set secured for a grand before I looked into all the details of setup... EXPENSIVE!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666