Restored bumper guards, and new bumper installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
My original bumper had some bends in it, some extra holes drilled in it for fog lights that don't exist, and it had some other issues that made it so I couldn't get the bumper guards to line up properly so I could actually use them.

So, I got a new bumper from GMC Paul's. Quality is good, although not quite as heavy as the original. Definitely not junk though, so I was pleased to see that.

I also buffed the original bumper guards so they'd better match the chrome of the bumper, and then installed new bumper pads and bolts/washers/nuts.

Pleased with how it turned out
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Looking good! Were the bumper guards the same look through years? I have that bumper but no guards, just square holes for them.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Looking good! Were the bumper guards the same look through years? I have that bumper but no guards, just square holes for them.
Thanks! That's a good question. I'm not sure. These bumper guards came with the truck, but they were in the toolbox in the bed, vs installed. So I just bought a bumper for a 1980, and they fit. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe they're the same for all the years that used this style of bumper.

But yeah, you just remove the 4 center bolts, and then put the guards on and bolt them on. There's a left and a right, and they are marked inside as LF and RF. Not sure if it makes any difference or not, but I installed them on the sides they called for

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks! That's a good question. I'm not sure. These bumper guards came with the truck, but they were in the toolbox in the bed, vs installed. So I just bought a bumper for a 1980, and they fit. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe they're the same for all the years that used this style of bumper.

But yeah, you just remove the 4 center bolts, and then put the guards on and bolt them on. There's a left and a right, and they are marked inside as LF and RF. Not sure if it makes any difference or not, but I installed them on the sides they called for

I know the mounting holes changed at some point, I was meaning more if the guards had different appearances or if they were an option on their own. As I dont have any but I have the bumper. Maybe taken off to look clean?

86454k30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CHEVROLET
Engine Size
Bumpers and Guards are 73-80 and 81-87 no interchange with either.

Truck and bumper looks great!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Bumpers and Guards are 73-80 and 81-87 no interchange with either.

Truck and bumper looks great!
Any difference in guards within a period? Size difference? Options?? With vs without?

86454k30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
CHEVROLET
Engine Size
Any difference in guards within a period? Size difference? Options?? With vs without?

Not that I am aware of. 73-80 all the same, 81-87 definitely all the same.

80scottsdalec10

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
305 V8
Do you happen to know what your paint code is for that red orange color.. Look the same as my truck but i am missing the sticker with the paint codes .. its like a red orange 1980 scottsdale . thanks !

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My original bumper had some bends in it, some extra holes drilled in it for fog lights that don't exist, and it had some other issues that made it so I couldn't get the bumper guards to line up properly so I could actually use them.

So, I got a new bumper from GMC Paul's. Quality is good, although not quite as heavy as the original. Definitely not junk though, so I was pleased to see that.

I also buffed the original bumper guards so they'd better match the chrome of the bumper, and then installed new bumper pads and bolts/washers/nuts.

Pleased with how it turned out

ahhhh!!!

my eyes!

shiny....must...look...away.....

:)

very nice looking!

yes, it does make a difference which side you put the guards on.
i put mine on the wrong side the first time.

looked like snaggletooth.
looked straight after swapping them.

;)

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Do you happen to know what your paint code is for that red orange color.. Look the same as my truck but i am missing the sticker with the paint codes .. its like a red orange 1980 scottsdale . thanks !
Shoot, I don't. A previous owner did it when the did the frame off restoration. You're right though. It's sort of a tangerine/ruby red

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redneckgames