Replacing Frame Rivets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And not nylocks, use big boy lock nuts. It’s your truck not your kids Radio Flyer.
YES! Thank you! I failed to mention that. Places around here keep trying to pass off those gr5 nylocks as being gr8. Nooo.....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
YES! Thank you! I failed to mention that. Places around here keep trying to pass off those gr5 nylocks as being gr8. Nooo.....
I accually used grade 9 on my front spindles they are expensive little bastards lol

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Don't be shocked when you get the bill for the hardware either. Lol. I've got over 100 bucks in my 5th wheel hitch, when I rebuilt the whole thing. Just for stupid nuts, bolts and washers....

Edit: DAMN IT @Honky Kong jr ! You beat me to it again.... Lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Don't be shocked when you get the bill for the hardware either. Lol. I've got over 100 bucks in my 5th wheel hitch, when I rebuilt the whole thing. Just for stupid nuts, bolts and washers....

Edit: DAMN IT @Honky Kong jr ! You beat me to it again.... Lol
We have a real good hardware store local that is reasonably priced and you can buy in bulk. It’s my go to place for hardware. Except on Wednesday damn mennonites, and Sunday they have to atone for being greedy bastards all week. Lol

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Grade 8 nylocks are fine to use, the key is dont use an impact to run them down, that heats up the nylon and renders it useless.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
We have a real good hardware store local that is reasonably priced and you can buy in bulk. It’s my go to place for hardware. Except on Wednesday damn mennonites, and Sunday they have to atone for being greedy bastards all week. Lol
Lmao..... I miss those type of places. All of our old school hardware stores have closed. Luckily, we have an actual nut and bolt wholesale store in town. Home Depot or Lowes just dont cut it for this stuff....

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Grade 8 nylocks are fine to use, the key is dont use an impact to run them down, that heats up the nylon and renders it useless.
True. I'm not running all those things down by hand though. Getting too old for that stuff.... Lol

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Also torquing the bolts tighter wont make them any stronger, it will acutally weaken them as they will be stretched to much. 45 is acutally a little on the low side for a grade 8 7/16 plated fastener.

You will have to drill the hole out to fit a 7/16 bolt, dont use a 3/8 as it is to small for the hole.

Obviously torques specs vary depending on application but you can use a chart like this as a guideline.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/US-Recommended-Torque.aspx

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
True. I'm not running all those things down by hand though..... Lol

I understand how bad it sucks, my rear suspension is full of them. It is the proper way to install them though. You also shouldnt reuse them, though I am guilty of that myself.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Accually after install I put green on it travels.:D

A guy was telling me they have some thats crazy expensive and they use it to hold the die to a press?

Edit. Ive never used green have seen it . Had to look it up you really do put it on when assembled and it seeps in the threads

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew45