Removing Door Mirror Anchors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is there a trick or secret midevil tool used to remove (and replace) these anchors? THX

You must be registered for see images attach

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 74 just has SM screws threaded into the skin. Reworked them today. Oversized the hole and went with stainless fine thread. Tapped the holes.
Yours look like the option is drill them out.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My 74 just has SM screws threaded into the skin. Reworked them today. Oversized the hole and went with stainless fine thread. Tapped the holes.
Yours look like the option is drill them out.
Yeah…. I’m pretty sure those are rivnuts.

There’s a decent tool on amazon for replacing them but to get them out they would need to be drilled or ground off.

The simple tool is a bolt with an oversized washer basically but the rivet gun type tools do such a nice job with way less work.

Astro Pneumatic Tool 1442 13"... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

rwjtexas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Those are called Jack Nuts and are 1/4-20 thread on the inside.

You should be able to use a 1/4" drill or the diameter of a 1/4" screw or so to run the inside of the Jack Nut all the way to the threads on the nut .. these work like wall anchors that the sides collapses when the screw is tighten.

use a couple of drill bits going upwards but be careful ..once the inside is drilled out with a 1/4" the walls may collapses and these can be lifted out carefully.

I bought some new ones to replace the old ones, the bottom screw goes into the inside window brace that goes to the inside door panel.

These are available on Amazon, however I bought a lot of interior screws from Turbo 6 Restoration.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewabird