Remote start - which one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Hi, I am planning on installing a remote start on my 1988 K5 (first time ever attempting a remote start install). Can anyone suggest a product they have installed? I am leaning towards Viper just because of the name but I am open to suggestions. Has anyone done this themselves before? Any advice? This DIY idea wasn’t about money, more so about me tinkering.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have avital brand installed on mine and the remote start function gave up the smoke. That cranking relay still works but it fails to give 12V to the rest of the vehicle. Running front and rear blower fans on max speed for ac during summer seemed to have killed it. It probably would work fine if it was not for dual blower fan operation

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Great thanks, i was looking at those. They are made by DEI (viper) but much less $$$

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I've had and installed a lot of different systems. All my vehicles have recently ran Viper and the only issue I've had was the parking lamp fuse blows out on my 5902 thats installed on my 99 Trans Am.

The avital on my GMT400 was a keyless entry with remote start that never gave me any issues. So for the price and quality avital is a good move.
I dont know if Prestige is till making systems how they did but they were very well built a few years ago and I liked installing them in older vehicles because the harness that Prestige used had thick gauge wire. The remotes were OEM grade strong, they would take a beating opposed to current viper remotes that seem to be a little more delicate.

Autopage had some decent products but for the price I would just spend a little more and go with a premium DEI product (Clifford, Viper, Python)

Stay away from the cheap ebay/amazon stuff. The time and money involved installing these is worth the proper initial investment.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I've had and installed a lot of different systems. All my vehicles have recently ran Viper and the only issue I've had was the parking lamp fuse blows out on my 5902 thats installed on my 99 Trans Am.

The avital on my GMT400 was a keyless entry with remote start that never gave me any issues. So for the price and quality avital is a good move.
I dont know if Prestige is till making systems how they did but they were very well built a few years ago and I liked installing them in older vehicles because the harness that Prestige used had thick gauge wire. The remotes were OEM grade strong, they would take a beating opposed to current viper remotes that seem to be a little more delicate.

Autopage had some decent products but for the price I would just spend a little more and go with a premium DEI product (Clifford, Viper, Python)

Stay away from the cheap ebay/amazon stuff. The time and money involved installing these is worth the proper initial investment.

Agreed and thank you. My goal is 1. Do it myself 2. Remote start with keyless entry because I’m lazy. I will look for a prestige, thanks for the heads up.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Agreed and thank you. My goal is 1. Do it myself 2. Remote start with keyless entry because I’m lazy. I will look for a prestige, thanks for the heads up.
No problem. Good luck with the install and if you have questions let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704