Relay vs vacuum switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty74

Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Was wondering what the difference would be between a relay and a vacuum switch for a lockup converter? Pros and cons.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The vacuum switch uses the engines vacuum to operate the TCC

liberty74

Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I know the vacuum switch uses engine vacuum. My problem is that my converter is locking up as soon as it shifts into overdrive and it cycles in and out of lockup. I was wondering if the relay would change the point of lockup. I just put the painless performance lockup kit in this. Getting pretty frustrated right now. The truck has been down for way to long. Just want everything to be right so I don't screw this transmission up.
Jeff

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
How would you control the relay? Will it be totally manually controlled? Is there any sort of delay orifice in the vacuum line? I imagine high vacuum xauses the converter to lock and any opening of the throttle drops the vacuum and the switch unlocks the converter. Perhaps you can create some sort of delay in your current setup. Thats just off the top of my head as I don't know how your system works yet.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Some info below:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_delay_valve

Perhaps you could use one that delays the engagement of the lockup but allows it to drop out quickly when you wish to accelerate or kick down to pass.

Hopefully someone else chimes in and has better info on this. Like I said this is just off the top of my head and I could be all wrong.

xylorex

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
383 -Forged Scat rotating assembley, Edelbrock ProFlo EFI, Roller lifter/rockers, CompCams XFI268
any progress on this?? I also purchased a painless lockup kit and about to install it (or was that just a waste of money). crappy thing is that i don't really have a "ported vacuum source" because i've got an edelbrock 3500 pro-flo fuel injection throttle body.

thanks

liberty74

Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ended up putting a vacuum delay valve in line. Cycling in and out of lockup has stopped but it still goes into lockup as soon as it shifts into fourth gear. Wired up a toggle switch to turn it off for around town driving and on for freeway driving. When time allows will definitely look into again. A lot of money spent and not getting the results I believe I should be getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31