Redid brakes, drums dont fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Im going to get it all squared away tomorrow and hopefully go for the first drive. When i installed the adjusters i tightened them all the way and cracked them loose, does anyone know if they will need further adjustment? Or have any good articles explaining further adjustment?

These brakes have self-adjusting shoe mechanisms that assure correct lining-to-drum clearances at all times. The automatic adjusters operate only when the brakes are applied as the vehicle is moving rearward or when the car comes to an uphill stop.

Although the brakes are self-adjusting, an initial adjustment is necessary after the brake shoes have been relined or replaced, or when the length of the adjusting screw has been changed during some other service operation.
Frequent usage of an automatic transmission forward range to halt reverse vehicle motion may prevent the automatic adjusters from functioning, thereby inducing low pedal heights. Should low pedal heights be encountered, it is recommended that numerous forward and reverse stops be made until satisfactory pedal height is obtained.

If a low pedal condition cannot be corrected by making numerous reverse stops (provided the hydraulic system is free of air) it indicates that the self-adjusting mechanism is not functioning. Therefore it will be necessary to remove the brake drum, clean, free up and lubricate the adjusting mechanism. Then adjust the brakes, being sure the parking brake is fully released.

1. Using a suitable punch, knock out lanced area in backing plate or drum. If drum is installed on vehicle when this is done, remove drum and clean brake compartment of all metal.
NOTICE: When adjustment is completed, a new hole cover must be installed in the backing plate.

1. Using suitable tool, turn brake adjusting screw to expand brake shoes at each wheel until wheel can just be turned by hand. Drag should be equal on all wheels.
  2. Back off adjusting screw at each wheel 30 notches.
  3. If shoe still drags slightly on drum, back off adjusting screw an additional one or two notches.
  4. When adjusting screw has been backed off approximately 12 notches, brakes should be free of drag. Heavy drag at this point indicates tight parking brake cables.
  5. Install adjusting hole cover in brake backing plate.
  6. Check parking brake for proper adjustment.

Just in case you are planning to have the drums turned, note that the maximum refinish diameter is less than the discard diameter:

Original Size 11.0 in
Maximum Refinish 11.06 in
Discard 11.09 in

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Here's the problem using worn drums, or even turning them down: New shoes have a specific arch, but worn or freshly machined drums will have a larger arch. That means the outer edges of the new shoes will NOT CONTACT THE DRUM SURFACE until you wear down the shoes in the center. I have seen this situation so bad that only the center 1/3 of the shoes made contact with the drum, meaning the rear brakes worked at only 1/3 their potential. :eek: Unfortunately, you can't see this unless you take a new shoe and set it inside the drum.

Back in the day, shops would "arc in" shoes to fit snugly against the drums, but I can't remember the last time I saw one of those machines. I suggest you bite the bullet and get some new drums. I spent around $40/each for new finned drums at my local O'Reilly auto parts store.
Yea as soon as I have some cash its drums and shocks

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
These brakes have self-adjusting shoe mechanisms that assure correct lining-to-drum clearances at all times. The automatic adjusters operate only when the brakes are applied as the vehicle is moving rearward or when the car comes to an uphill stop.

Although the brakes are self-adjusting, an initial adjustment is necessary after the brake shoes have been relined or replaced, or when the length of the adjusting screw has been changed during some other service operation.
Frequent usage of an automatic transmission forward range to halt reverse vehicle motion may prevent the automatic adjusters from functioning, thereby inducing low pedal heights. Should low pedal heights be encountered, it is recommended that numerous forward and reverse stops be made until satisfactory pedal height is obtained.

If a low pedal condition cannot be corrected by making numerous reverse stops (provided the hydraulic system is free of air) it indicates that the self-adjusting mechanism is not functioning. Therefore it will be necessary to remove the brake drum, clean, free up and lubricate the adjusting mechanism. Then adjust the brakes, being sure the parking brake is fully released.

1. Using a suitable punch, knock out lanced area in backing plate or drum. If drum is installed on vehicle when this is done, remove drum and clean brake compartment of all metal.
NOTICE: When adjustment is completed, a new hole cover must be installed in the backing plate.

1. Using suitable tool, turn brake adjusting screw to expand brake shoes at each wheel until wheel can just be turned by hand. Drag should be equal on all wheels.
  2. Back off adjusting screw at each wheel 30 notches.
  3. If shoe still drags slightly on drum, back off adjusting screw an additional one or two notches.
  4. When adjusting screw has been backed off approximately 12 notches, brakes should be free of drag. Heavy drag at this point indicates tight parking brake cables.
  5. Install adjusting hole cover in brake backing plate.
  6. Check parking brake for proper adjustment.

Just in case you are planning to have the drums turned, note that the maximum refinish diameter is less than the discard diameter:

Original Size 11.0 in
Maximum Refinish 11.06 in
Discard 11.09 in
Thanks that's really good info, I made sure to do some hard stops in reverse to confuse my neighbors before leaving the house lol, but Il probably go piss off a parts store and make them pricematch rockauto for some new ones

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CTGAP