Rear tail lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
hi everyone on my chevy k20 i took the bed off to paint the truck and when i unplugged the tail lights everything worked fine now that i put the bed back on nothings working I'm getting no power to the tail lights not with turn signals or break lights please someone help i checked the fuses, grounds and i put a meter up to the plug and I'm not getting a reading. thanks

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
hi everyone on my chevy k20 i took the bed off to paint the truck and when i unplugged the tail lights everything worked fine now that i put the bed back on nothings working I'm getting no power to the tail lights not with turn signals or break lights please someone help i checked the fuses, grounds and i put a meter up to the plug and I'm not getting a reading. thanks
Did you pull the grounds loose? Did you possibly pop the fuse by having the connector apart and grounding out? Or maybe pinched the harness and cutting it and grounding it out. Do you have a good ground between the chassis and bed, paint build up can negate a good ground. Don't assume that just because the bed is sitting on the frame that it's gonna give a good ground. I added extras to be sure the ground is good.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

So, you mean everything is out - or just the brake/directional lights (DK GRN 19 & YEL 18 circuits)?

How about the tail/marker/plate lights (BRN 9 circuit)? Or the backup lights (LT GRN 24)?

Also, if I read it correctly, you separated the weathertite plug and checked voltages there - right? The black probe of the meter was firmly in contact with a rust-free/unpainted spot on the frame?

You must be registered for see images attach

If there is no power at the W/T plug - next check for power where the affected circuits exit the bulkhead connector:

If there is power there, you will have to do as HK jr first suggests and inspect the entire run of the rear lighting harness. If there is a problem along the run, it should jump right out at you. See post #15 of this thread for images of the harness routing:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/flashers-show-hazards.18482/#post-346080

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i checked all the wires in the run and they all are good and if i pull the fuse and stick the meter in and i get power there the grounds are all good is not only break lights its all the lights that don't have power back there

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
i checked all the wires in the run and they all are good and if i pull the fuse and stick the meter in and i get power there the grounds are all good is not only break lights its all the lights that don't have power back there

Did you check at the engine side of the bulkhead connector?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20