Rear Spring Removal Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Any tips for removing the rear springs from my 87?

The heads of the nuts and bolts are pretty shot. I've tried heating them up with MAPP Gas, but, the damn things won't budge. I had considered cutting the heads off, but, I can't get to the bolts inside the front hangers. These damn bolts have been holding up my progress for far too long.

You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
impact find something that fits and get it done. The ones on back of the 86 were really trashed they had like a full thickness nut in back but imediately tappered down to nothing in the front of it. That's how bad they were rusted, almost rusted off. I got a socket on it to fit and after spraying a bunch of times, I hit it with the impact and it came off fine. if not then cut the bolt head or nut off. I don't see a problem by front you mean front hanger on the rear leafs right? grind it's head off you can get to it, but will it push all the way out the inside? if not may have to grind head, knock it thru, cut it off, knock thru, and keep going until it's short enough to come out. or try to chisel the nut on the back side if you can get on it. do one side then do the other straight across from it.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I tried the impact route and proceeded to round off at least part of the bolt. I think I'll spend most of tomorrow with a grinder.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Grind the heads off, and use an air chisel with a punch bit to knock them out. They usually bind up so bad inside the bushing or sleeve that there is no other way to get them out. I would also keep a good drift and 2-pound hammer on standby as well, incase they dont budge for the air chisel.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Hm. I am not sure if I have an air chisel or not.

I had that problem on the front springs where the bolts had swelled up so much inside the bushing that even though I was able to remove the nuts, there was no budging the bolts.

Assuming I decide to keep the same ride height, is there anything I should look for in the springs, besides cracks and missing leafs, to determine if they're no good anymore?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
maybe uya had the wrong size socket then because usually it doesn't round it off unless it's the wrong size. Rust does hurt it though, sometimes you gotta use the size smaller or something and hammer it on there. A punch or pointy prybar and hammer will help get them out just as good as the air chisel but it might take longer and more headache pounding on the thing.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
What size bolts are they?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
been too long since I worked on some. I thought 3/4 maybe 13/16 or 15/16 or something not really sure. Sometimes though a metric will work. Sometimes they fit very snug to and won't move.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Grind the heads off, and use an air chisel with a punch bit to knock them out. They usually bind up so bad inside the bushing or sleeve that there is no other way to get them out. I would also keep a good drift and 2-pound hammer on standby as well, incase they dont budge for the air chisel.

I agree with this route. I had similar problems when working on my 77 so I just cut the bolts off and then "punched" the other end out of the hole. You may need a BFH, too! :D

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The problem with grinding the heads off and punching through, which I am going to attempt today, is that the bolts holding the front of the springs in place as well as the bolts holding the rear of the spring to the hanger may be too long to knock out. I guess I'll soon find out!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If there is an obstruction like the rear shackle hanger you may have to knock it out as far as you can, then use a cut-off wheel to cut off some then knock some more out, repeat, etc.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that is exactly what I said earlier, knock it out, cut it off, knock it out cut it off until it comes out.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the front hangers, you may want to cut a hole in the reinforcement bracket below the frame so you can hammer the bolts out. I doubt it would affect the strength at all.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The springs are out!

It took me 4 hours to remove the drivers side by myself. My buddy showed up just as I finished and knocked the other one out in 45 minutes.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size