Rear Shock Extenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I'm doing an axle flip and have been reading about the shock extenders (front and rear) vs. getting lowered shocks. I see that the rear bolt into the origin shock mount then hang down. Got a couple of questions for anybody that has an opinion or has used something like this.

1) How far down do these hang? They look like maybe 2". In that case I would still need a shock for a lowered vehicle, right?

2) Has anybody tried to make an extended TOP shock mount? Like a hoop upwards that would be 5 or so inches taller.

I've also seen the front extensions from Western Chassis which move the mount up 2.5". Since I am using a 2" coil spring and a 2.5" spindle, could I just use a factory length sock here as well?

Thanks in advance!

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
You may be able to run a front shock in the rear with an axle flip. Just grab your front shock and throw it in back to see if you have enough shock travel with the stock mounts.

Mine is run that way but I relocated my bottom mounts to the leaf spring plate clamp. I just welded a tube to the plate and ran an 8" grade 8 bolt through the shock then the tube.

My fronts are stock. Western chassis 2.5 spindle. 1 coil cut from 6 cylinder spring. I have enough travel on my Bilstein. I checked it with a zip tie.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Use stock replacement shocks front an rear.

For the front I prefer/use kyb 344068 no extenders or relocators needed.

On the rear run the extender and a kyb 344072. These give a great ride an work perfect, there's no need for stiff bad riding drop shocks.

Brett77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
502 stroker
The shock extension is more for the angle of the shock, recommend changing the shocks. Also after a flip you should re align your pinion angle.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Is there an angles block used for pinion adjustment?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris