Rear Differential oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shalpass

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Gonna pull the. rear differential cover today flush and fill up....I have gasket maker, brake clean, gear oil 80w-90....can I spray brake clean on gear and in case with cover off...won't hurt anything I'm assuming....while I have cover off gonna see what rear end it is along with cleaning cover and giving it a fresh coat of paint....any helpful tips on this job is much appreciated

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
What I do is pull the cover (leave the gasket on - if intact), let the bulk of the gear oil drain out, wipe the shell and cover real good with with clean rags. Close the cover up and fill to the normal operating level with gasoline. Then I drive around the block once or twice real slow - like 5 mph.

Go back home. Drain the gas out, pull the cover again and finally (starting from the top and working down) I spray the gears and casing down with carb cleaner.

Close up using a new gasket and fill with fresh gear oil.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When you pull the cover, inspect it all. Get you a magnet and get all the metal shards in there...if you have any which everyone I have ever seen has some. If you have a limited slip then you will need an additive. Make sure you find the gear ratio stamping on the ring gear so you will know what ratio you have.

I wouldn't use a gasket, just RTV.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
WELL lol I just pop the cover wipe the bottom of the pumpkin down with a clean non linty rag( previously oiled rags work good for this ), clean the cover of old RTV and make it squeaky clean, repaint the cover, reinstall the cover with fresh RTV and fill to the top with appropriate gear oil.

MossyOakSlvrado

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Use the green RTV if you can fins it, its made just for gear oil. Black will suffice though. Clean and inspect everything while under there. When you clean you rear cover up check for thin spots and check the gaskwt suefacw for straightness by simply putting a straight edge on it. This will help ensure that you have a good sealing surface. Gear oil will find even the smallest way out. Use some good underbody paint too. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76