Rattling is driving me insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So the last few weeks my truck has had a rattle, a loud rattle. It's coming from around the back bottom side of the block from what I can tell (exhaust is loud). Now it quiets down under acceleration or if I bring the rpms up steadily in park, but if I'm cruising it's loud, and if I'm coasting it's louder. Nothing I can see by myself looks loose but it's hard to diagnose with one person, I will try to get a video of it tomorrow but anything I should look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I recently had a ticking that i thought was a lifter or something, which is a different sound and scenario but either way, do you have headers ?Or even manifolds, id try tightening the bolts and even removing/inspecting/replacing the gaskets, erspeacilly if its headers, as that was my issue

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I do,
But while running I'll try to move them and it's no difference

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Similar type issue here too. Rattle type sound when I am in gear barely moving. By the time I put it in Park and get out to listen for it, it is gone. Sorry, not much help from me.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Might check the flywheel dust cover. Those small bolts tend to loosen. My cover was held on with only two bolts!

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Similar type issue here too. Rattle type sound when I am in gear barely moving. By the time I put it in Park and get out to listen for it, it is gone. Sorry, not much help from me.

Mine won't go away

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Might check the flywheel dust cover. Those small bolts tend to loosen. My cover was held on with only two bolts!

My dust cover would never stay tight, so it hasn't been on in awhile, I'm guessing it's either torque converter or flywheel, it's a light rattle like thin metal, I don't believe it's in my block cuz it's not a deep enough sound, if it doesn't rain another 5 inches this week I might get to look into it

Jtg87cstmdlx

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I have a similar sound coming from my truck. I have taken it to two different places and they both said exhaust rattle. And the final guy I took it to got under under the truck while I had it in gear with my foot on the brake I accelerated to hold it in place. He kicked the muffler and the rattling stopped then started again after I drove it. Apparently flow master exhausts rust on the inside and the baffles have rusted in mine and are just sitting inside

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a rattle in the transfer case shifter. Turns out the the handle that sticks into the cab is not the actuator in the shifter mech, one is bolted to the other, and one of the bolts had come loose.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My dust cover would never stay tight, so it hasn't been on in awhile, I'm guessing it's either torque converter or flywheel, it's a light rattle like thin metal, I don't believe it's in my block cuz it's not a deep enough sound, if it doesn't rain another 5 inches this week I might get to look into it

Do you still have the EFE in place? It's the mechanism usually right after the passenger side manifold that blocks exhaust flow until the engine warms up. I realized over the weekend the rod that does the actuation is still there, but it's not actually hooked up to anything. I haven't driven my truck since then to see if that is what is causing my rattle. I mention this because the light rattle on thin metal is what mine sounds like also.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm missing a bolt between my flywheel and torque converter,
Maybe that's it?
It isn't exhaust I've tried holding them with my foot, t case is all tight,
And my shift lever is loose and rattles a bit but it's not the main cause

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a rattle in the transfer case shifter. Turns out the the handle that sticks into the cab is not the actuator in the shifter mech, one is bolted to the other, and one of the bolts had come loose.

LOL my shift linkage rods on my 203 rattle like crazy. I need to find a way to quiet those things down.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Tightened torque converter bolts,
Rattling went away for about a minute and is now back again
All bolts are still tight

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Flywheel? If it's automatic it's got a flexplate. Flywheels have a thick wearing surface for the clutch to ride on and a pressure plate on the transmission side that sandwiches the clutch disc into the flywheel when you let out the clutch pedal. :cheers: