Rather push my chevy than drive a ford!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Well I did a couple things to my truck (73) 2x4 today and figured I would share. Biggest thing I did was pulled the old american racing wagon wheels off and stripped all the old crappy white off and repainted black and polished up the original center caps as best I could. That made a huge difference in the look. Next I took the giant towing mirrors off and ordered some 4 3/8" round. Removed bug gaurd and bumper extender, protector things and polished the front chrome bumper. Also the whole passenger side of my truck was yellow from the trim down for some reason, I took some very diluted aluma brite to that and it took it right off without affecting the paint underneath which is very exciting. Mirrors should be in in about 2 days and I have 2 more wheels to do. Doing that right is very time consuming. Then gonna paint the rear barden black and remove the mud flaps. I will post pics whenever its all back together.

Sounds like a huge improvement was made! Make sure and post up pics once it's all complete :D I wanna see! :D

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
is the 79 on like a 12inch lift? sweet rides bro, what part of Cali are you from?

Ohhhh and I always tell people this but watch out for Old77:van:, he is nice at first, but beware he is kinda like a ninja :hidesbehindsofa:

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
is the 79 on like a 12inch lift? sweet rides bro, what part of Cali are you from?

Ohhhh and I always tell people this but watch out for Old77:van:, he is nice at first, but beware he is kinda like a ninja :hidesbehindsofa:

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....why you gots to let everyone know my secrets??? :whymewhyme: I likes to lure them in and then POUNCE!!!

:lol:

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
I am guessing about 10 inches total lift. Its not really a kit so I cant say exactly how much. Kind of a mish mash of shackle flip what I believed was an 8 inch lift when i got it, then longer shackles on front, and 2 inch body lift.

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am guessing about 10 inches total lift. Its not really a kit so I cant say exactly how much. Kind of a mish mash of shackle flip what I believed was an 8 inch lift when i got it, then longer shackles on front, and 2 inch body lift.

I was considering doing longer shackles up front too, are you using shims to correct the pinion angle? and what about steering, I couldnt really tell from pics. I here you cant put to large of a shim up front because it may cause steering issues

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
An 8 degree shim is about as big as you can get but you're right, too much shim can roll your axle too far forward resulting in too much caster, making your truck feel like the front wheels are actually swivel casters like on a shopping cart lol. I had a cast aluminum shim split in the middle on the trail and spit out, talk about a wild ride. I just tightened the axle u-bolts as tight as I could to get it home. If I were you I would stay away from shims if at all possible, if you plan on wheeling it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
In my state front blocks are illegal. Don't know if a shim counts as that here or not..

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
An 8 degree shim is about as big as you can get but you're right, too much shim can roll your axle too far forward resulting in too much caster, making your truck feel like the front wheels are actually swivel casters like on a shopping cart lol. I had a cast aluminum shim split in the middle on the trail and spit out, talk about a wild ride. I just tightened the axle u-bolts as tight as I could to get it home. If I were you I would stay away from shims if at all possible, if you plan on wheeling it.

Yes I have never been a fan of shims, but I dont want to spend the time or money doing springs up front, and I was wondering how much the longer shackles really twist the axle. but casters for front wheels doesnt sound fun

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
Just went like an inch longer because when I got the truck it had bocks front and rear (hack) an it was a little taller in front so I only needed little lift with 2 inch block out so it didnt change the pinion angle much. I have been running it for a couple years and it doesnt seem to eat u joint too fast so I left it.

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just went like an inch longer because when I got the truck it had bocks front and rear (hack) an it was a little taller in front so I only needed little lift with 2 inch block out so it didnt change the pinion angle much. I have been running it for a couple years and it doesnt seem to eat u joint too fast so I left it.

Hmm I would think It would still change the pinion angle because the leafs are at a different angle themselves.. but whatever works, works!

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
It did change it but it was slight enough that I didn't feel the need for correction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello