Question on RTV if needed or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecrow71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
5.7 350
Do I need any sealant on here or is the gasket good enough? Also, how about do I need thread lock on here? Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 53

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
Do I need any sealant on here or is the gasket good enough? Also, how about do I need thread lock on here? Thank you.
Prolly would not hurt. This may be obvious, but was not to me for a long time, if that is an auto, use the sealant rated for auto trans fluid.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's called permatex ultra Grey its the equivalent of gms. Good stuff don't over do it though.

MrHorsepowerLSx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K35
Engine Size
Pick one or the other avoid using both, if you "glue" the paper gasket it really makes it a pain when you have to service/remove it. I personally like the gaskets and have never had an issue. I've also used Ultra Grey when a gasket was not available, a little bit goes a long way and sometimes it makes for removal/servicing parts harder to separate. I will sometimes use a few small dabs to hold my gaskets in place prior to assembly. But way to use the sealant is to make both mating surfaces oil free and apply a small bead all the way around and let the sealant tack up ( it should form a very light skin in about 10-15 mins depending on temp ) and then install and torque to spec.

As for the bolts that attach the transfer case to the extension housing I've always used liquid thread sealant with Teflon, never had an issue. If you want take it a step further you can take some liquid thread sealant and mix it with some RED Loc-tite until it turns into a paste and apply it to the threads of the bolts and install. It simulates the factory style of sealant that it currently on the fasteners.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Pick one or the other avoid using both, if you "glue" the paper gasket it really makes it a pain when you have to service/remove it. I personally like the gaskets and have never had an issue. I've also used Ultra Grey when a gasket was not available, a little bit goes a long way and sometimes it makes for removal/servicing parts harder to separate. I will sometimes use a few small dabs to hold my gaskets in place prior to assembly. But way to use the sealant is to make both mating surfaces oil free and apply a small bead all the way around and let the sealant tack up ( it should form a very light skin in about 10-15 mins depending on temp ) and then install and torque to spec.

As for the bolts that attach the transfer case to the extension housing I've always used liquid thread sealant with Teflon, never had an issue. If you want take it a step further you can take some liquid thread sealant and mix it with some RED Loc-tite until it turns into a paste and apply it to the threads of the bolts and install. It simulates the factory style of sealant that it currently on the fasteners.
Does he need the gasket as a spacer? That's why I didn't recommend gasketless.

thecrow71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
5.7 350
Thank you great advice as usual

MrHorsepowerLSx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K35
Engine Size
Does he need the gasket as a spacer? That's why I didn't recommend gasketless.

Nope, most of those gaskets are 1/16th of an inch. That's not enough to cause an engagement with the splines. Sealant just complicates removal sometimes and if to much is used it will get into the fluid and can be passed around between the trans/transfer case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1