Question concerning Hydroboost Power Steering Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
OK guys, need some input on this, been scratching my head for a bit about this. Currently my truck has the power steering pump with a remote mounted reservoir. I wish to eliminate the remote reservoir by changing to the type power steering pump with built in reservoir. My parts truck has such a pump and all hoses. Is this just a simple swap out of pumps and everything be hunky dory? My thinking on this is by comparison, the amount of fluid held in the remote reservoir and pump and what is held in the pump with built in reservoir is not an equal amount. Will this make a difference? Looks like the pump with remote reservoir holds quite a bit more fluid!:cheers:TIA

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The volume of fluid shouldn't make any difference, lots of trucks with hb brakes came with the self contained ps pump. I converted from vacuum to hb brakes and used the same pump, but I switched the can it sits in to one with the hb return port. It's possible to do a work-around by using T-fittings and such, but I wanted a stock appearance. I don't know if it was a coincidence or what, but my pump started to fail a few months after the swap. I was losing steering assist at idle speeds and had to add go pedal while working the brakes at the same time when maneuvering in parking lots. Two reman pumps after that were doing the same thing so I bought a PSC pump and installed a fluid cooler at the same time as recommended by PSC. That was seven years ago and the system has been trouble free since then.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
OK guys, need some input on this, been scratching my head for a bit about this. Currently my truck has the power steering pump with a remote mounted reservoir. I wish to eliminate the remote reservoir by changing to the type power steering pump with built in reservoir. My parts truck has such a pump and all hoses. Is this just a simple swap out of pumps and everything be hunky dory? My thinking on this is by comparison, the amount of fluid held in the remote reservoir and pump and what is held in the pump with built in reservoir is not an equal amount. Will this make a difference? Looks like the pump with remote reservoir holds quite a bit more fluid!:cheers:TIA
Assuming that both the current vehicle and the parts truck are hydro-boost? If yes, everything should be hunky dory

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Assuming that both the current vehicle and the parts truck are hydro-boost? If yes, everything should be hunky dory

Yep, both hydroboost! Going to swap them this weekend and get rid of that fugly remote and hose!!:cheers:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Good sources of experience ^^^ and a very reasonable concern.
I thought about HEAT.
Certainly more fluid runs MUCH cooler.
If you're putting around in it, I agree probably be fine.

Come to think of it...Aftermarket P/S Coolers are real, and cheap - there are different kinds...my two cents.

Unknown intention but by the time it was determined as "necesssary" for your application it would be too late.
:birgits_tiredcoffee

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep, both hydroboost! Going to swap them this weekend and get rid of that fugly remote and hose!!:cheers:
Just be sure that the pump You use does not have the VOV system. You will know it by the two wires sticking out the back side.
If it does have the VOV system, it can be eliminated with components from and older pump or, buy the conversion kit from GM or other sources.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just be sure that the pump You use does not have the VOV system. You will know it by the two wires sticking out the back side.
If it does have the VOV system, it can be eliminated with components from and older pump or, buy the conversion kit from GM or other sources.

Good thing to know there, Thanks! I checked and neither pump have any wires. They appear exactly identical with the exception of the built in reservoir!:cheers:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good thing to know there, Thanks! I checked and neither pump have any wires. They appear exactly identical with the exception of the built in reservoir!:cheers:
PS pump on My truck has that stinking VOV system. I need to get the components and eliminate that thing. Put a load on the front receiver hitch and the steer wheel will not turn. Just a bad kind of a deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner