Quadrajet question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I'm going through my carb. Rebuilt by a "rebuilder" and I have a float and needle question.

Did all qjets have a spring that went from the needle to the back of the float? As in, this needlefish doesn't float in the bowl and the float pushed down on the needle but that it's actually connected somehow?

This is a 1983 M4ME.

See pic. Should the needle be attached and hanging from the float? If so, if it's not on, what happens?

You must be registered for see images attach

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I'm guessing that if the needle isn't attached to the float, it would be like the float is adjusted too high and it will be rich all the time...

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I guess it is call a pull clip. And mine is missing.

Edit: research says it's not needed. That fuel pressure pushes the needle up and the float pushes it down. Mystery solved.

You must be registered for see images attach

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I was rebuilding Carburetors when the Q-jet was introduced.. I was rebuilding them years after they were "put out to pasture", so I have no idea just how many I've had my hands on. I've installed that little clip probably as many times as I've left it out.. I've never experienced a problem associated with doing it either way..

What I will suggest when installing the float.. Open up that "D" pin just a tiny smidgen.. When the carb top is installed, the "D" pin is jammed down tight and cant wiggle around.. This greatly helps the float maintain the proper fuel level..