Quad front Shock hardware

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jukes14

Reaction score
First Name
Brody
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
6.0L
1987 Chevrolet V20 4x4 Pick up truck.

I bought a 6" rough country lift kit for my truck, all springs.

My question pertains to the Quad front shocks. I don't have all the old mounting hardware from the old quad shocks. My question is can someone guide me to what exact hardware I will need to mount my new quad shocks? Upper shock bolts and spacers etc, lower bolts nuts etc. Thanks!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Seems like I've seen this discussed before, complete with pictures. The only trouble, is it was awhile ago, and I can't remember which thread.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
There is some info here -> http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13629 .
You will need two (2) upper bolts, long enough to stab thru the 2 shock brackets.
One (1) lower bolt, long enough to stab thru both shocks and the bracket.
The only "special" hardware is the ~ 1/4" spacer, separating the shocks at their lower mount point. In lieu of spacer, you can use a few stacked washers..

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Devil's advocate here: my sense is that the quad shock setup was kind of a band aid to make up for lack of control on the front end ( plus - something marketing could charge for).

I would think you could find a good Bilstein or modern shock that would give you the same (or better) level of control with a single shock.

Just my $0.01.

K

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've heard the quad shocks are constantly breaking mounts. My truck had the mounts but I went with as single shock on each side for that reason

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Quad shocks are more for looks than function. Install a quality set of shocks up front with the propoer dampening instead of four. The reason the shock mounts usually break is due to having more stress caused by 4 shocks....and quad shocks setups cmpromise ride quality.

Sorry to bash the idea, but theres a reason no one uses the quad shock setup anymore. Its more of a pain than anything else.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I was always under the impression that the quad shock setup was offered for the guys who were going to hang a snowplow off the front end.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I was always under the impression that the quad shock setup was offered for the guys who were going to hang a snowplow off the front end.

Possibly, but heavier duty front springs would be a better idea as shocks dampen and don't allow for more payload necessarily.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Possibly, but heavier duty front springs would be a better idea as shocks dampen and don't allow for more payload necessarily.

True. I've only ever seen them on the 3/4 ton and heavier trucks, which should have enough spring for the plow to begin with. My v20 has them currently, but the new k30 frame it's getting does not. Not too worried about not having them when I'm done.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Quad shocks.

Seen this thread and was wondering how common is the quad shock option. My 87 1/2 ton has them. Is it more common on the HD trucks that the 1/2 tonners? Seems like the Suburbans and K5's had this option more that the trucks. My 91 parts Suburban also has them. What's the RPO code?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I believe the original thread was mine lol about my suburban's quad shocks.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Seen this thread and was wondering how common is the quad shock option. My 87 1/2 ton has them. Is it more common on the HD trucks that the 1/2 tonners? Seems like the Suburbans and K5's had this option more that the trucks. My 91 parts Suburban also has them. What's the RPO code?

Your observations are fair.

It was more prevalent on the Suburbans and Blazers because it was considered more "sporty" ( more "off-roady").

RPO code was Z75.

K

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Thanks guys. Nice to see the RPO code too, thanks Keith! I've had my truck for about 11 years and never had a issue with them but it does ride pretty stout up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derek12345