proper lift kit set up for camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomjuice86

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
High Sierra
Engine Size
i got my daily driver ready for a 4" lift kit using springs and no blocks. the only thing i have to consider is i will be using a slide in camper a couple weeks out of the year. iv seen a lot of half ton trucks hauling slide in campers and the back end of the truck sags. i want to avoid this when i put my camper in. without serious modification to the truck i want to give it a 4" lift to clear my tires better. i was told i could install an air bag system for the rear, but will that sustain my level ride height if i lift the front also? or will the 4" spring lift with helper spring support be good enough?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
If you add a helper spring to your rear end an inch or two all the time and make it ride more rough when you don't have your slide in camper loaded.

I would think air bags would be a good option. Keep the air pressure in them very low when running around empty and when you are loaded pump up the air pressure in them. This will lift up the back to help prevent sagging.

I'm not too sure of is how well they work with a 4" lift (instead of stock height).

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Air bags will work but you'll have to get creative with the installation. The top bracket bolts to the frame and the bottom bracket sits on the spring pack. With a 4" spring lift (or shackle flip) you will have too much distance in the mounting area for the bags to offer any assist. (A block lift doesn't have this problem since the springs are on top of the blocks.) You will have to figure out a way to mount one of the brackets four inches higher, or lower, depending on which one you do.

These are Ride Rites on a 4" block lift.

picture.php

Not sure if helper springs will work either. They're designed to ride parallel to the stock spring pack and you might have some interference with the increased arch of a lift spring. Maybe somebody around here has mounted an add-a-leaf onto a lift spring and can post a picture.

Edit: Note the rear sway bar in the pic.. Highly recommend this when adding weight up high on a lifted truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare