problem matching temp sender to gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deucecoupe

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks in advance for any insights on this.

I have an '84 C10 RWD and just swapped out the inline 6 for a great running 327. The original 327 temp sender was for a gauge that reads 100 to 220F.

The gauge on my truck reads 100 to 250F. I tried the original sender on the 327, and of course the gauge pegged up to the top even though the temp tests on the motor and radiator showed it wasn't that hot. Clearly not a good match.

I'm trying to find the right temp sender for this truck. Note: I have tested and proved the gauge is working properly.

I've gone to my local Napa and also looked at the Rock Auto website. The senders for my truck that match the electrical connection either don't show the gauge range, or if they do only show 100-220F range. I also tried an aftermarket sender rated to 250F, but the ohm readings must be different than what my gauge is looking for as I don't get any reading from them.

Have any of you discovered the right sender for the '84 C10s with gauges that read up to 250F?

I understand from reading other posts on this forum that there was a design change around '81 or '82. I don't know if this change meant different gauges or what.

I'd sure appreciate any insights or learnings from similar situations. I don't want to continue a "trial and error" approach even if the parts only cost $8 to $12.

Thanks much,

BADASSTRAPPER

Reaction score
First Name
SHERMAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
SUBURBAN
Engine Size
You need to match the sender to the truck NOT the engine !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko