Power steering belt brackets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
hi, new here and new to square bodies. Just bought an 1986 with a 5.7 I think it's original? Getting some slippage and squeaks from the belts. I tried tightening them but it seems I might be missing some brackets on this thing. What am I looking at?! I have no idea where to start. I will snap a few photos tomorrow when I'm near the truck (at my mechanics now). Any input would be helpful. Oh and if this is already covered please point me in that direction. I am still learning this app.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
hi, new here and new to square bodies. Just bought an 1986 with a 5.7 I think it's original? Getting some slippage and squeaks from the belts. I tried tightening them but it seems I might be missing some brackets on this thing. What am I looking at?! I have no idea where to start. I will snap a few photos tomorrow when I'm near the truck (at my mechanics now). Any input would be helpful. Oh and if this is already covered please point me in that direction. I am still learning this app.
I have the pump and brackets off my 87 350 truck. Mine is big block now so they are not needed. Find out what you need and we will work something out. I'm guessing your missing the bracket that mounted to the exhaust manifold being you mentioned headers.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Might be worth looking at your rpo codes too. If I remember correctly, the 1/2 tons weren't available with a 5.7 in '86. That was only an option on the 3/4 and up trucks. If yours is a 5.7, then someone put it in.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Might be worth looking at your rpo codes too. If I remember correctly, the 1/2 tons weren't available with a 5.7 in '86. That was only an option on the 3/4 and up trucks. If yours is a 5.7, then someone put it in.
You couldn't get an off the floor 350 truck in 86?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Don't laugh but what is a "rpo" code? Thanks for the info I will snap photos tomorrow and post them. Just found out the front axle was most likely swapped for and 1975 truck. The left or outer tie rod end didn't fit for an 1986 I had to get one for a 1975. I'll have it figured out soon enough lol.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Don't laugh but what is a "rpo" code? Thanks for the info I will snap photos tomorrow and post them. Just found out the front axle was most likely swapped for and 1975 truck. The left or outer tie rod end didn't fit for an 1986 I had to get one for a 1975. I'll have it figured out soon enough lol.

They're a printed sticker, usually found in the glove box or underhood on an inner fender, that list all the options your truck was originally ordered with.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

The reason (I think anyway) that the power steering pump belt slips/squeals more frequently than the other belts is because it usually doesn't get properly tightened in the first place. And the reason for that is because - for one man to do it alone is a pain in the butt.

The design and location of the components used to mount the power steering pump make adjustment of it's drive belt ... cumbersome to say the least.

It does have the standard pivot point:

You must be registered for see images attach

But instead of just a single elongated bolt hole, the bracketing for the PSP has two slotted adjustment points - and both the associated clamping bolts must be moved through the slot simultaneously.

One of these is located in an easily accessible spot - the upper LH corner - and just like the alternator, the bolt is moved through the slot to adjust tension :

The second adjusting point for the PSP is there to provide more stability for the pump - I suppose. This one is buried. It is located at the very bottom of the PSP bracketing:

Working from above, access to the lower bolt is nearly impossible on a fully assembled engine.

The images above show a SBC with most of it's auxiliaries removed. However, in an actual "on the fly" belt renewal procedure, things are considerably more cluttered (i.e. by the radiator fan, the fan shroud, drive belts, upper radiator hose, etc).

So, while working on the lower bolt, instead of working conditions like this:

You are faced with something more like this:

and remember, that's while both loosening and tightening it!

But what actually makes the tensioning of the belt more difficult than other set-ups is the dual adjusting slot configuration.

With a single slot and a pivot - you just kind of pull on the driven component and the belt tightens up. Then, hold it in place with one hand and clamp down on the adjusting bolt with the other. Done!

It may not sound hard, but to tension the belt on the PSP, the entire pump bracket must be rotated about the pivot point. You cant just yank on the bracket and watch the belt go tight. If you simply pull on any one spot on the mounting assembly, the tendency is for one of the adjusting bolts to get jammed against the side of their respective slots. It feels like the bracket is not loose enough and so you back off on the bolts some more. Then you try to pull the bracket again - maybe this time in a different direction or at a different spot.

When and if you finally get some tension in the belt - even if it isn't as tight as you normally shoot for - it is human nature to just say "that's good enough". You hold what you have in place and tighten the top outer bolt. Then you have to climb under the truck and tightening the lower bolt.Then back up to the top and torque the pivot bolt.

All done! To test tension, you push your finger down on the belt between the water pump pulley and the PSP pulley. Nearly all the time you will find that the tension you had set is now not nearly as tight as it was. You know that you should really loosen everything up and do the job over again - but most people don't. They shut the hood and drink a beer.

That is my theory on why the power steering belt squeals so much.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Okay thanks i will look tomorrow after work.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I couldn't find the post I'd posted a while back about this. If I remember correctly, putting a shorter belt on it made installing and adjusting it a TON easier. I remember running out of room on one adjustment. I went to orielly's with the old belt and got one an inch or 2 shorter....made it easy.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I couldn't find the post I'd posted a while back about this. If I remember correctly, putting a shorter belt on it made installing and adjusting it a TON easier. I remember running out of room on one adjustment. I went to orielly's with the old belt and got one an inch or 2 shorter....made it easy.

Thanks thats a good idea. Sorry I have not posted photos, my truck is still in the shop. Been a PIA figuring this thing out. Looks like a front acle swap off a 1975 which made ordering parts a challenge

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I was able to take some photographs. Unfortunately I could not get into the glove box under the hood and in the doorjamb looks like it was repainted and there is no stickers or other information available. These are not the greatest photos I was limited on time hopefully they help.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have the pump and brackets off my 87 350 truck. Mine is big block now so they are not needed. Find out what you need and we will work something out. I'm guessing your missing the bracket that mounted to the exhaust manifold being you mentioned headers.

My truck is still at the mechanics. Soon as I get it I will go through it more thorough find out if I am missing any brackets. Thanks for your help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb