Power door locks and windows problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a 1985 gmc pickup with power door locks and windows. Recently I made a stupid mistake and hooked the battery cables up back wards wich blew the inline fuse at the power junction on the firewall. I tried replacing the in-line, with a normal in line fuse wich just kept blowing shortly after I turned it on. finally I got the correct original in-line fuse from napa installed and it turns on and works fine. BUT the power door locks are going crazy. they go up and down constantly by themselves non stop. and my passenger side window will not work. the driver side window works fine. when I hit the window swith I hear a click kind of like its engaging but does nothing. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you in advanced.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
if by fuse I hope you mean relay.. because that is what the door locks use. the power window not working could be just the switch or the motor/regulator is gone.

Attachments

• Power Win & DL.jpg
    Power Win & DL.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 437

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Where is the door lock relay located?

it is usually buried up in the dash. some have found them next to the brake pedal, above the heater box, above the fuse box or even behind the radio...

it will look similar to this...

You must be registered for see images attach

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
ok great I will start there. does that relay work only for the door locks, or would something else go also? The door locks also have a fuse in the fusebox also.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Relay only operates door locks. Check your fuse too. Power windows work on polarity.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Sounds like a grounding issue - at least in the PDL system.

The PDL relay is grounded through it's casing to the mounting bracket it is attached to. Try unbolting it, cleaning up the surfaces (relay casing and mounting bracket) and re-attaching it.

The power window system has a dedicated ground wire that comes out of the harness and runs over to the common ground bus block (on the outer wall over by the e-brake). Pull it off the bus block and re-plug it. Check the lead for signs of damage (i.e. melted insulation) and repair if any is found.

If that doesn't help, you're going to have to open the door panels and start checking for damage to your switches.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
it is usually buried up in the dash. some have found them next to the brake pedal, above the heater box, above the fuse box or even behind the radio...

it will look similar to this...

You must be registered for see images attach

I found this relay and im ready to replace it but now im having trouble finding a new one. any idea where I can pick one up?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good luck, they are impossible to find.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Junkyard(new to you):)

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
WOW!! Thanks a lot! Sure is! Looks exactly the same. Could there be a difference in the amps it could handle?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
WOW!! Thanks a lot! Sure is! Looks exactly the same. Could there be a difference in the amps it could handle?

a relay is a relay that is a relay...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71