Play in steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
If i grab the steering shaft in the engine bay close to the firewall (thus above the rag joint) in one hand and the steering wheel in the other, I can feel a fair amount of rotational play. I can not understand how that is possible. There is no play between the steering wheel and the splined shaft because it is pressed on and the rest is imo only a shaft that sits in a housing hold in place by bearings. I can see how these bearings can go bad in such a bay that the column can be wiggled up and down and maybe in and out but I can not see how these bearings can cause directional play.
Any input is highly appreciated.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I've seen those bearings at the end of the column go bad like that.

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
It indeed feels like the play is at the end of the column. Can it be changed from within the engine bay without removing the column from the truck ?

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
I finally got around to doing this job. What a difference in handling!
I did not find the part in the Chevrolet-section of online autoparts stores, but in de Jeep-section they were plenty. I bought Crown part number CWA-4487696K and changing it is real easy. I read that i had to unbolt the steering gear box so i did but i think i could have done without removing it. I think it's possible to push the shaft inwards enough to clear at the rag joint/steering box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising